Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Update: 1/18/13 Antibotic/yeast cycle, help please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482656)

Michelle_M 01-17-2013 05:50 PM

Update: 1/18/13 Antibotic/yeast cycle, help please!

Update 1/18/13 10:51am CST:

So I called my chiropractor's office (she does Nutrition Response Therapy). I explained the situation to the Amanda (handles the nutrition/supplements stuff). I told her that I had this particular probiotic and asked if I could give it to my son.

She said "Tell me what supplements you have." I went through them, and she said that my Zymex is actually a treatment for yeast overgrowth. She said to look at his butt, give him 2 Zymex, and then look at his butt again. She said it works THAT FAST. That the rash won't be gone in an hour, but if his body likes the Zymex, that I'll see some significant improvement.

I also have a natural antibiotic, and a "drainage" supplement that drains yeast and bacteria out of the body.

She said that I could bring him in this evening along with my box of supplements, and they can test him against the supplements I already have. I asked if they could add the $21 fee for the testing to my bill (which I'm paying off next month). Amanda said she'd have to check with Brittany (who does billing) and she'll let me know when I call her back in an hour.

So, there is a good chance I'll be able to skip the prescription stuff, and use all natural remedies that will do the same good stuff without causing the bad imbalances. Yay!

I didn't know it was only $21 to scan the kids, or I would have called sooner!

God bless!

My 3 yr old (3yrs old next month) got put on some antibiotics for an infection. The antibiotics caused a yeast rash on the butt and penis (as I knew it would). But the yeast caused open sores, which then got infected from the poop and stuff. So now the pediatrician has given us an antibiotic cream for the diaper area and wants him on oral antibiotics as well...

But the problem with that.. is I bet it will cause the yeast rash to get out of hand again (and it's not totally gone yet)... so I just see this as an ongoing cycle.

Any suggestions? The coconut oil wasn't clearing up the yeast. The Nystatin made it better (I had some on hand) but didn't clear it up. And now we're using the antibiotic cream.

The antibiotics are needed, because the infection is in the base of his p***s, and it was swollen and red. So I don't want to NOT give him the antibiotics.

Thoughts? Advice?

God bless!

MyNameIsMama 01-17-2013 06:08 PM

Re: Antibotic/yeast cycle, help please!

Is he still in diapers? You would need to treat the diapers for yeast as well at the same time you are treating him or they will reinfect him and you will get no where.

If the infection is IN the penis, I would definitely use the antibiotics. But I have always had amazing luck with CJ's Butt butter. Anytime DS got a rash it would clear it up in no time.

I also switched from pockets to prefolds, I would get build up on the suede cloth and it would never get as clean as my prefolds. Since switching, I have had almost no issues.

If you want to treat the yeast you could buy some 7 day monastat and put that on him and after slather on some plain yogurt to repopulate the skin with beneficial bacteria.

Michelle_M 01-17-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyNameIsMama (Post 16172256)
Is he still in diapers? You would need to treat the diapers for yeast as well at the same time you are treating him or they will reinfect him and you will get no where.

If the infection is IN the penis, I would definitely use the antibiotics. But I have always had amazing luck with CJ's Butt butter. Anytime DS got a rash it would clear it up in no time.

I also switched from pockets to prefolds, I would get build up on the suede cloth and it would never get as clean as my prefolds. Since switching, I have had almost no issues.

If you want to treat the yeast you could buy some 7 day monastat and put that on him and after slather on some plain yogurt to repopulate the skin with beneficial bacteria.

Ok thanks. I will bleach the diapers tomorrow. I've been using pockets, but have enough prefolds to switch. So.. I'll bleach all the pockets, switch to prefolds, and then bleach those as well.

I have non-chlorine bleach.. does the non-chlorine bleach disinfect like the regular bleach does?

God bless!

Computermama 01-17-2013 06:37 PM

Another thing that might help is to get him on some probiotics. I know they make them for kids, but don't know of any offhand.

Michelle_M 01-17-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 16172370)
Another thing that might help is to get him on some probiotics. I know they make them for kids, but don't know of any offhand.

Can probiotics be used at the same time as antibiotics? Don't they cancel each other out?

God bless!

debcita429 01-17-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 16172389)
Can probiotics be used at the same time as antibiotics? Don't they cancel each other out?

God bless!

Is it a time-release antibiotic? Like one dose lasts all day? If it is not time release, what I have done is take the antibiotics and then take probiotics about 1 1/2 hours later so that they are not directly competing. I'm not sure re: the heavy duty time release antibiotics. You might want to wait until the end of their administration to beef up the probiotics. Dunno.

Michelle_M 01-17-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 16172430)
Is it a time-release antibiotic? Like one dose lasts all day? If it is not time release, what I have done is take the antibiotics and then take probiotics about 1 1/2 hours later so that they are not directly competing. I'm not sure re: the heavy duty time release antibiotics. You might want to wait until the end of their administration to beef up the probiotics. Dunno.

I think the antibiotics are 2x a day for 7 or 10 days.. DH forgot to pick up the prescription today so I'll look at it tomorrow.

God bless!

Green Decals 01-17-2013 07:46 PM

Def do probiotics, and massive amounts of them - they will not cancel out the antibiotics. The antibiotics will kill off all of the good bacteria, which is why you need to give him the probiotics - they are good bacteria. I would seriously consider doing natural antibiotic treatment, such as goldenseal and garlic. You can put goldenseal right on his skin, just get a good quality capsule and break it open and smear the powder right onto his infection. Bentonite clay can also help. They will stain, so use prefolds and maybe a fleece liner to keep him dry. Echinacea and garlic taken orally will help too. You really need to boost his immune system so that his body can fight off the infection. Otherwise, you are going to continue this cycle...

debcita429 01-17-2013 08:00 PM

Well, if it is 2x a day I would personally do a probiotic mid-day :). Blessings on the LO.

Michelle_M 01-18-2013 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Does non-chlorine bleach disinfect?

God bless