Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Those of you who've used 'no-cry' sleep solution (Pantley) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483174)

ez_green_cutie 01-19-2013 11:03 AM

Those of you who've used 'no-cry' sleep solution (Pantley)

Seeking advice on implementation. I read the book, but was never really clear about whether the prop would be able to be completely 'removed' or not. I read that now her boy removes himself and falls asleep, but I would like to get rid of nursing as the prop altogether. If I don't, my husband is never able to put 5 mo. old DD down for naps when I'm gone without an hour of crying.
I've been using the pull-out method for the last couple of days, but there again I'm still using the breast to drift off close to sleep. Those of you that have successfully done this method- are you now able to set the child down without offering a paci, nursing, bottle, etc. beforehand? I'm also trying to move full meal eating to after waking instead of before sleeping, but she's not doing well with that. I tried Baby Whisperer's pick-up, put down, but that did not work so far. I do like her aspect of having the meal after waking up, even if I don't stick to her 'schedule'.
One more question- regarding the same for naps, have you tried Pantley's method (go in there 10 minutes before waking from naps and soothe when you see child stirring) of extending naps? Since the BW's pick up, put down method isn't working, I'm afraid her shush-pat 'waking to sleep' method will not work, either.
Just looking for reassurance and experiences that either of these methods *do* work! Thanks!

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Those of you who've used 'no-cry' sleep solution (Pantley)

Your DD is still very young to try to sleep train. We did this method at 12 months like the book sugested. It worked well for us.

SaraElise 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

I agree with the pp, I wouldn't try to sleep train at all until after 6 months, and most of those methods work best 9-12 months. All of mine started sleeping through the night between 12-18 months.

There is so much that changes in the first year in regards to sleep and development, that even if you implement these things successfully, there is a great chance you will have to do it again in a few weeks...and again...and again...until they are close to a year.

When we were weaning off nursing to sleep we would start by limiting the time, until it was only a minute, the started working on just rocking them to be enough, or rubbing their back or some sort of physical contact. But it was sloooow. I don't think this method is an overnight thing, but it works! We went from 6 month olds who had to nurse to sleep and woke several times a night only going back to sleep with nursing, to 3 kids who get excited about bed, go right to sleep and never had any more waking issues in the middle of the night.

ez_green_cutie 01-19-2013 01:30 PM

Hi all, I'm not talking about training my child to sleep through the night. I'm just talking about removing the breast dependency. It's simply not possible for me to be home *every* time my child goes down for a nap.

Also, I see nowhere in Pantley's book that the method is intended only for older children. In Chapter 4, it is broken into 2 sections:
Part One: SOlutions for Newborn babies - Birth to Four Months
Part Two: SOlutions for Older Babies- Four Months to Two years

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 01:35 PM

I was never able to do that till they weaned.

SaraElise 01-19-2013 03:31 PM

With my oldest my MIL used a pacifer with him, because he NEEDED to suck to fall asleep.

My second had to be held until he fell asleep, so this is what my SIL did while I was at work.

My third had to be rocked to sleep if she was not nursing, this is what my husband did when I wasn't home.

Never was I able to lay them down in their bed and get them to sleep there until they weaned, it required some sort of other physical contact which they then weaned off of in the same way they weaned off of nursing to sleep.

ez_green_cutie 01-20-2013 12:05 PM

Thank you both for your answers. Very helpful!

leadmare 01-20-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise (Post 16179783)
With my oldest my MIL used a pacifer with him, because he NEEDED to suck to fall asleep.

My second had to be held until he fell asleep, so this is what my SIL did while I was at work.

My third had to be rocked to sleep if she was not nursing, this is what my husband did when I wasn't home.

Never was I able to lay them down in their bed and get them to sleep there until they weaned, it required some sort of other physical contact which they then weaned off of in the same way they weaned off of nursing to sleep.

I have a similar experience to this. We're not able to put our lo in her crib and have her just fall asleep... Ha ha ha...

But, if I am not around or if my husband is putting her down, some other sort of physical contact is "required". Could be rubbing her back, or rocking her, or holding her (I do these things too, sometimes, and what works has changed over time). It also helped us to identify what our goal was, i.e. did we want her to put herself to sleep (alone), or did we just want to have an hour nap to ourselves, or have my husband put her down; in which case we didn't mind helping her fall asleep.

We didn't try any of this until about 9 months. I also appreciate Pantley's book the more I looked around at other options.

cbreeding 01-21-2013 04:17 PM

At 5mths, all 3 of mine fell asleep at the breast, but if my DH put them to sleep they were fine with the bottle. This was after a few times when they got used to his way of doing things. Sometimes they would fall asleep with the bottle, other times they would just pull off themselves.

Around 1yr with all 3 of mine, I could just take them off the breast before they fell asleep and they would just cuddle me to sleep instead of needing to suck to sleep. We bedshare so regardless of nursing or cuddling to sleep, I rolled away after they were asleep. I used the pantley's pull off method to get away when they fell asleep nursing.