Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Which car would you choose? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483182)

NewbieSAHM 01-19-2013 11:38 AM

Which car would you choose?

Our lease is coming to an end in June. We currently have a 2010 Honda Odyssey and an almost five year old who is FF in a Radian XTSL. We're trying to conceive and plan to have at least one, maybe two more children. We love our Odyssey, but it's just way more than we need for our currently small family. I know not all cars are created equally when it comes to carseat friendliness so I was hoping for some input from a carseat standpoint!

juliasmom 01-19-2013 04:22 PM

Honda Accord with leather is not very carseat friendly IME. The deep buckets and curved seat backs were a nightmare with the EFTA and not easy with a Recaro convertible....no experience with the Radian in there. I have installed a couple of seats with relative ease in my sisters Honda Civic with fabric seats. For sure, try your seat out in the car before you buy.

luvsviola 01-19-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Which car would you choose?

3 across isn't working for our family at all. My 3 year old hurts whoever is sitting next to him. He can't keep his hands to himself. We stopped ever taking DH's car anywhere because it is one big screaming match the entire time. We had to FF him before I was ready because he was kicking DD1 in the face while they were 3 wide. His feet could reach her face when she was in the middle and he was outboard, and he knew at 65 mph that there was nothing I could do about it. The danger of him hurting her eyes and face was more than the risk of an accident.

So...in your shoes, knowing there might be 3 kids, I'd stay with an Odyssey. Some day, 2 kids plus 2 friends==doesn't fit in a sedan. 3 kids plus one friend don't fit in a sedan.

That being said...my dad drives a Civic and DH has an Accord. No way I'd get a Civic. As a family car, they are small.

In DH's Accord, we have DD2 in a RFing XTSL on the passenger side and the passenger has to eat the dash. When we had 2 RFing kids in there, DH could barely drive and he is 5' 6". Also, the side bolsters are really angled, so it is hard to get the 3 across installed. It makes the outboard seats angled toward the middle and difficult to get tight with seatbelt installs. We ended up using 3 Radians when we had 2 RFing seats, and now have RF Radian, FF Radian, Maestro in there.

NewbieSAHM 01-19-2013 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input! I guess I should add that DH is the one who wants the Civic and I'm the one pulling for the Accord. Also, this will ultimately be DH car. He currently drives a 12 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I would drive the Civic/Accord/whatever until it's paid off and then we'd lease another vehicle that will become my vehicle/the main vehicle used whenever we go somewhere all together.

I don't know if that changes anyone's response but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

luvsviola 01-19-2013 08:47 PM

If you'd only have it a couple years, I'd still get the Accord. You'll appreciate the extra room. :)

kinderreruns 01-20-2013 01:02 AM

Extra room in an auto with child(ren) is like an extra closet....you will love having it!

Sarah-B 01-20-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinderreruns
Extra room in an auto with child(ren) is like an extra closet....you will love having it!

Lol!!!