Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tips for getting 2 yo to pull down pants at potty time? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483194)

Numommy 01-19-2013 12:37 PM

Tips for getting 2 yo to pull down pants at potty time?

My baby learned to potty rather quickly, but he cannot get his pants down by himself. I am trying to reinforce the "tell Mommy" thing, but I find him in the bathroom peeing in front of the potty because he can't get them down. I've tried keeping him with me and I can, but dishes, cleaning, life etc happens. Not to mention he goes to a home day care while I work three days a week. I'm not certain how much DCP will mind him needing assistance since he is going almost every hour.
He is 2 y 2 months. I think it is a combo of new undies, wide hips, weak hands.
He is in a 4t undie. I wouldn't mind going up, or making or buying some more undies etc if anyone thinks it will help. Or is this just the way it is for a while?

l_Kimmie_l 01-19-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Tips for getting 2 yo to pull down pants at potty time?

He is still pretty young, I would help him by practicing pulling his clothing off on his own when he is not so urgent to go. That way he can take his time to do it and get the hang of it. You are ahead of the game. My kids and 3 and 4 and neither want to potty learn.

mcpforever 01-19-2013 12:49 PM

If you aren't opposed, let him go without while at home.

My LOs went without at all for a while, then with loose elastic waist pants and no undies for a while, and THEN then graduated to undies and loose pants. When DS2 started preschool, he went commando (pants no undies) and his teacher was fine with it.

Numommy 01-19-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever
If you aren't opposed, let him go without while at home.

My LOs went without at all for a while, then with loose elastic waist pants and no undies for a while, and THEN then graduated to undies and loose pants. When DS2 started preschool, he went commando (pants no undies) and his teacher was fine with it.

Commando is actually a really good idea for daycare!!

Numommy 01-19-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
He is still pretty young, I would help him by practicing pulling his clothing off on his own when he is not so urgent to go. That way he can take his time to do it and get the hang of it. You are ahead of the game. My kids and 3 and 4 and neither want to potty learn.

I couldn't find diapers to fit him! He was peeing out of pull ups bc of short rise and I've been using the bed wetters overnight ones. Expensive!!!!

abunchoflemons 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

U try just real loose pants like sweats? Reward. Potty practice target?

bumminbeachbabe 01-19-2013 01:34 PM

I let my potty learners go naked from the waist down until they really have it under control. Once they do pretty well with that we graduate to loose elastic waisted pants with no underwear, so they aren't having to fumble too much.

EmilytheStrange 01-19-2013 01:49 PM

If it makes you feel better - very very normal. My friend's 3yo still needs help pulling down his pants.

raymark 01-19-2013 01:59 PM

My girls could not have pulled their pants or underpants down at that age.

aaiya 01-19-2013 03:49 PM

My 2.5 year old DD is just now sort of getting it. She does much better pulling down pull-ups or even the gerber trainers than the tight little character panties. Maybe a bigger cut or bigger size of undies would help?