Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What does a 1 year old/young toddler need? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483208)

waterisntsomething 01-19-2013 01:08 PM

What does a 1 year old/young toddler need?

I received a check for 100 dollars for DS's birthday and I want to spend it on stuff he's going to need in the near future. Other than clothes I can't think of any obvious stuff he's going to need soon. I'm sure theres some obvious stuff but my mind is drawing a blank. I'm good on diapers right now.

abunchoflemons 01-19-2013 01:11 PM

Re: What does a 1 year old/young toddler need?

We put in bank til we figure out stuff....

Hungry Caterpillar 01-19-2013 01:29 PM

Does he walk? I would go to a reputable shoe place and get his foot measured, then choose a sturdy and well-made shoe endorsed by the American Podiatry Association (or whatever they are called, the boxes have stickers on them). Stride Rite is a good brand.

alaskamum 01-19-2013 01:48 PM

If you can't think of anything he needs, I would put it away for him, or buy him a savings bond with at least part of it...

EmilytheStrange 01-19-2013 01:54 PM

Agreed. When DD was first getting checks, I tried to spend it on things she would need. But I quickly realized I was sorta wasting money that way and we opened an account in her name. The money is still available when she does need anything, although our plan is just to leave it alone.

If you don't like that idea, I would go with wardrobe needs or an outdoor toy.

raymark 01-19-2013 02:01 PM

I only spend my kids b-day money on fun items they want or save it until there is something they think is 'amazing'. I consider it their gift money, not my practical money.

Nerissa 01-19-2013 02:11 PM

If there isn't anything they need right now I set it aside for a future need. There is always something.

waterisntsomething 01-19-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 16179543)
If there isn't anything they need right now I set it aside for a future need. There is always something.

Thats what I'm thinking I'll do. Chances are a lot of it will get spent on clothes in a few months.

I am all about birthday money being for "fun" stuff but he's only 1 so I feel like this is the one year I can use it for a need. Plus he's got a ridiculous amount of toys right now.

EmilytheStrange 01-19-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
I am all about birthday money being for "fun" stuff but he's only 1 so I feel like this is the one year I can use it for a need. Plus he's got a ridiculous amount of toys right now.

That was my thought. I was trying to spend it on toys, but they were superfluous toys that she didn't need.

It'll be different when she's older and has more expensive tastes :)

Mom2Connor 01-19-2013 04:45 PM

Do you have outdoor things for her? Tricycles or foot push along riding cars, a little kiddie pool or toddler swing for the swingset or nearby tree branch, etc? I would use it in a couple months for that.