Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tell me about Alva pockets. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483435)

MothyrGrimm 01-20-2013 09:42 AM

Tell me about Alva pockets.

Our diapers were working fine for a ling time until ds started getting a wetness sensitivity. Coming back to the fsot all I hear about is Alva's. What's the deal? :)

mommadeeof4+ 01-20-2013 10:26 AM

Re: Tell me about Alva pockets.

they are veryyyy inexpensive (4-6$ per diaper including insert) and great quality in my experience! they are from china, you can order directly from them (alvababy.com) or a co-op or there are a lot of usa sellers too (alva fb page) i only have 4 in my stash now because i am favoring the ease of flats/covers but for 6 months straight alvas was all i used on my son and we never had a single issue. Some orders got messed up and customer service was fantastic and always sent replacements plus free diapers. the ones i have now i stuff with flats like the rest of my pockets because i despise microfiber.

March 01-20-2013 10:41 AM

One thing you should know is that neither they nor their resellers are CPSIA compliant and thus your packages could (technically *should*) be seized at customs upon entering the US as they are illegal to import. They have violated several patents and infringed upon copyrighted artwork, and attempting to import any of those theoretically could get you in big legal hot water. I realize that thousands of people "get away with" buying them, just like people get away with media pirating, but there's always that risk. Just so you're informed before you make a decision.

P!nkPepper 01-20-2013 12:51 PM

China cheapies are the way to go these days. Not my cup of tea. :hide: I just can't get over the whole washing in warm only to keep from delaminating. Also, I keep wondering when I'm going to hear about them for sale at the dollar store. :backout:

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

MothyrGrimm 01-20-2013 01:26 PM

Hrm soulds weird. But if I buy from a USA seller they are fine right? Since its not from the actual manufacturers or crossing borders? Idk how that stuff works. I'd be interested in trying them possibly....

momEmac 01-20-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickshep19
China cheapies are the way to go these days. Not my cup of tea. :hide: I just can't get over the whole washing in warm only to keep from delaminating. Also, I keep wondering when I'm going to hear about them for sale at the dollar store. :backout:

I have 18 alvas I've been using for a year and I've always washed on hot and dried in the dryer on hot. Not one has delaminated and they get washed 2-3 times per week.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

L J 01-20-2013 01:29 PM

I have a handful of Alvas. They are perfectly adequate diapers.

Mine have been in a rotation of 20 diapers for about a year now. I wash on hot, and I haven't had a single one delaminate or have bad elastic. The only diapers I have had problems with this go round are Flips, who seem to have notoriously weak elastic.

I have two function complaints with Alvas.

My daughter went through an awkward phase where I couldn't get the waist to not gape. It didn't last long, they fit fine again now, but this isn't a problem I had with an of my Cottonbabies diapers because they have the oh so useful stretchy tabs.

My other compliant is the lack of the belly strip of PUL on the inside of the diaper. You have to be careful in how the top front of the diaper lays or you can get a wet waist band, especially when baby is wearing something stretchy like leggings.

But, overall I think they are very good diapers and I frequently recommend them to cloth curious friends and family who don't want to shell out $18+ per diaper to get a "modern" cloth diaper to try.

I stuff mine with Thirsties duo hemp prefolds, size 2 and my daughter is on the medium setting on Alvas. I bought my first one from eBay with the included microfiber insert and felt it was too short. I think it would work fine on the small setting but it was way too short for the medium setting. It is about the same length as the newborn insert that comes with BGs, though it is twice as thick.

I stuffed with padfolded flats for about 6 months and loved that until she started out wetting those in under an hour. Stuffing with padfolded flats was very trim. The Thirsties hemp prefolds aren't quite so trim, but that's what works for us and she is such a big girl now the extra bulk isn't a big deal.

L J 01-20-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
Hrm soulds weird. But if I buy from a USA seller they are fine right? Since its not from the actual manufacturers or crossing borders? Idk how that stuff works. I'd be interested in trying them possibly....

Your best way to go is buying from a coop. PM me if you would like the name of the most ethical coop I have ever seen, run by my dear friend. :)

P!nkPepper 01-20-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momEmac (Post 16182788)

I have 18 alvas I've been using for a year and I've always washed on hot and dried in the dryer on hot. Not one has delaminated and they get washed 2-3 times per week.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

That is good to know. I always heard the china cheapies are never supposed to be washed in hot.

MothyrGrimm 01-20-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J (Post 16182795)

Your best way to go is buying from a coop. PM me if you would like the name of the most ethical coop I have ever seen, run by my dear friend. :)

How do coops work? :hide: