Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chores (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483489)

Almacham 01-20-2013 12:15 PM

Chores

My kids are 6, 4, 3 and 23 months. I'm sick of cleaning up after everyone!

What chores do or did you assign at these ages? I have a basic idea but I want to know what others have done. I admit that I've coddled them far too much and it is a struggle just to get them to pick up their toys.

They're great kids otherwise... I'm just afraid that I've let them become lazy. :blush:

monkeymama07 01-20-2013 12:22 PM

Everyone can make their beds, clear there dishes,put dirty clothes in the laundry, help pick up toys..they can all help put away groceries, wash windows, dust with a duster,

My son also puts away the silverware and pans from dishwasher, puts away his clean clothes although he folds messy, sweeps and swiffwr wet mops, wipes down the table, etc...

Really he does a lot I just have low expectations and thank him for helping.

tallanvor 01-20-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Chores

The only chore my kids at that age have is cleaning their rooms 3 days a week. Not that they don't do anything else, but nothing else we consider a chore. As soon as they can put things on the counter, they take care of their dishes after eating. After I fold the laundry, they help put it away. Really, just whatever little things I think they can handle, I ask them to do.

The older two started working in the kitchen at about 6. I am not sure how much the youngest can really do though, just because the kitchen is laid out differently in this house and a lot of what I use is too heavy for her to really be able to out away.

Suzi 01-20-2013 01:21 PM

My kids are 8.8 and 6 but the 6 year old is more like a 3-4 year old. I have better luck assigning things that aren't related to their own stuff. 8 yo ds cleans the bathroom (I have specific instructions posted) scoops the litter box, feeds the cat, and dusts the tv area, 8 yo dsd cleans under and on the kitchen table dusts a bookshelf, waters the cat, and and cleans the shower, 6 yo ds wipes down the toilet every night and helps put things away but I have to guide him with that.

After they do their basic tasks for the night they can do extra chores for $$. 8 yo ds is mostly motivated by this but it comes and goes. Steam cleaning the kitchen floor is his favorite chore to do.

ktmelody 01-20-2013 01:34 PM

All my kids do chores. They dont get paid.

The teens clean kitchen, their bedrooms and do their own laundry. The also load/unload dishes and sweep.

The 9, 7 and 5 year olds do toy duty 3 times a day, clean sinks and make their beds.

My 3 year old helps with toy clean up most times and she loves to fold the cleaning rags/family cloth. She also puts shoes away.

The baby "helps" clean up the toys. She is 13 months and loves putting toys in the bins.

We have a large home, lots of people and if it isnt kept up it can go to hell real fast. Having everyone pitch in is very important.

abunchoflemons 01-20-2013 01:44 PM

6, 4 ,3 can help pick up toys, silverware & some not breakable dishes, mAke beds, roll socks & simple things in laundry, help clear table after meals...... put dirty clothes in basket, put away some clothes.

Depends on ur 23 month on some but can help put toys away too.... shoes away. 6 probably vac.

PoshPants 01-20-2013 01:44 PM

My 4 year is a princess, she says princesses aren't allowed to clean. You all seem to have lucked out

maddys_mama 01-20-2013 01:56 PM

My 5 year old cleans her room and the playroom area, helps clear off the dining room table after meals, and is expected to help with random chores around the house (bringing dirty clothes downstairs, helping to pick up the living room, making sure the stairs stay cleared off, etc.)

The 2.5 year old cleans his room (he's actually way more efficient at this than his big sister), helps clean up the playroom area, helps me unload the dishwasher (at least for the cabinets he can reach), and helps pick up the living room (picks up pillows and blankets, puts shoes and coats away, etc.)

lilannies mama 01-20-2013 01:57 PM

My 18 month old likes to put her toys away & she also likes to load the dryer with the clothes that aren't to heavy so jeans & things she can't do but socks wash rags & her clothes ill out them on the dryer door & she throws them in. She tries to help with the dishwasher but she makes a mess right now so she gets mad I won't let her.

hilaryisinked 01-20-2013 04:53 PM

Aubrey puts toys away when we are straightening up and is mommy's little helper when I'm nursing Delaney. She helps me stack and fold diaper laundry. That's it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum