Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   All Free & Clear (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483949)

Hellga 01-21-2013 05:15 PM

All Free & Clear

I read that it's not okay because it has "optical brighteners" but what does that actually mean? Do they make the diaper not work as well, or do they cause problems for baby's skin, or what? Anyone use this anyway and have good luck? It's what we use for our clothes anyway so if we can stick with it it will make me really happy!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ofthemoonsglow 01-21-2013 05:21 PM

I use tide free and clear or gentle whatever its called now. On all our clothes and diapers. Its been 15 months or so and its still working great

The Fancy Pansy 01-21-2013 05:34 PM

Re: All Free & Clear

I used All F&C for almost 2 years with no problems on city water. Then we got an HE toploader, and it wasn't cleaning as well, then moved to well water, and it was hopeless. I haven't tried it on well water with our regular TL'er, though, since we don't have anyone in CD's right now. We used Arm & Hammer free when the All wasn't pulling it's weight. A lot of people do just fine with the All F&C, it just depends on your washer and water.

The whole CD safe ingredients thing is a whole lot of unscientific bunk....IMHO. :blush: The only truly non-CD safe ingredients are something like fabric softener, which would coat the fabric. Everything else in moderation. :thumbsup:

ktmelody 01-21-2013 05:52 PM

We have used it for 8 years. No issues. We have very hard water, an HE front loader and use a full cap every wash.

I have never had to strip diapers. I do add a little bleach once a month.

tomandkara 01-22-2013 01:42 AM

Optical brighteners are kind of like little mirrors that embed in the fabric to make it look cleaner by reflecting light. (OK, that sounds crazy when I type it out but that's what I read.) The claim is that they can lead to build-up and stink.

If you have access to All Free & Clear Military, that doesn't have optical brighteners.

outdoor_gal 01-24-2013 01:58 PM

We use All F&C with no problems. We have hard well water with a softener installed and use mostly natural fibers. It is the only non-enzyme mainstream detergent that has worked.

leadmare 01-24-2013 03:17 PM

We use it too, with no issues. I'd tried a few detergents before, and none really got the diapers clean. All f&c does, so I'm happy :-)

HappiMom 01-24-2013 03:24 PM

I use all f&c and really like it. Baby's skin problems have really cleared up. It leaves no fragrance whatsoever in our clothes - they are just, simply clean. :)