Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What's the rule on posting links when people ask for information? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484420)

CMamma 01-23-2013 05:19 AM

What's the rule on posting links when people ask for information?

TIA for reading - I'm trying to figure out the "rules" about posting links in the forums (I can't find a clear answer on this posted anywhere).

Example:

Someone posts a question like, "I'm looking for a gluten-free bread recipe" or "Does anyone have plans on how to build a chicken coop out of scrap materials?" Is it ok to post a response like, "Here's a link to a recipe I have on my blog for bread" or "We just built a chicken coop using leftover materials from another project. Here's a tutorial."

I see people do this all the time, either posting their own personal blog, WAHM site or similar. I also see people that post links to other blogs, websites, stores, etc. Is one allowed & not the other? I guess I'm confused & need a little more clarification.

TIA :) I'm just trying to make sure I'm aware of the rules. I was contacted & told I can't post links to my own site/have to post the info directly into the post & not link (I can't clarify w/the person b/c their inbox is full so I figured someone here could likely help me out). ETA - I also had some things deleted (I responded to posts & thought it was ok to post replies when people asked for info - this was the case when I was an active WAHM & people solicited for info about products).

Agla 01-23-2013 06:03 AM

Re: What's the rule on posting links when people ask for information?

Here is the portion of FAQ pertaining to SPAM. Maybe this will help.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...inking_to_blog

We deal with rule infractions as we come across them or if they are reported.

~happy2Bamommy~ 01-23-2013 06:11 AM

My pm box has room now so you can pm me again if you wish.

I did not tell you that you may not post your information.Simply that you did not need to keep linking to your blog. If someone asks a question you wish to answer feel free to copy/paste information.

Yours is a bit of a grey area and the pm was based on posting history.
You have a lot of posts for your blog in the correct area (check out my blog forum) but recently started posting links to your blog in threads. While the threads you are commenting on DO ask questions that pertain to the blog it looks a bit like you are seeking out things that have to do with your blog in order to answer said questions by linking to what you wrote (one example was a pretty old thread that you found and then linked to your blog) We do not allow spam here and while yours is helpful info, when you link over and over to your blog, it begins to look a bit like you are working for hits to the blog.

I did just clear room in my pm box if you need anything else.

CMamma 01-23-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ (Post 16194120)
My pm box has room now so you can pm me again if you wish.

I did not tell you that you may not post your information.Simply that you did not need to keep linking to your blog. If someone asks a question you wish to answer feel free to copy/paste information.

Yours is a bit of a grey area and the pm was based on posting history.
You have a lot of posts for your blog in the correct area (check out my blog forum) but recently started posting links to your blog in threads. While the threads you are commenting on DO ask questions that pertain to the blog it looks a bit like you are seeking out things that have to do with your blog in order to answer said questions by linking to what you wrote (one example was a pretty old thread that you found and then linked to your blog) We do not allow spam here and while yours is helpful info, when you link over and over to your blog, it begins to look a bit like you are working for hits to the blog.

I did just clear room in my pm box if you need anything else.

Thanks - I wasn't confused about being allowed to post information, it was the linking. And PPer explained they are dealt with on an as-seen basis too.

I appreciate the clarification - it was just really difficult to understand what the rules were based on your PMs & what's posted on the forum here. I'm not intending to spam, just help. I've been a member here for years & just sharing things I thought would help/am not trying to just work on hits. That's more trouble than it's worth lol

Also, a note for copying & pasting info - that's not a good idea (for myself & is really rude if someone else does it - it is stealing content & a website that does it can be taken down for copyright infringement).

Thanks for all the help & I'll just respond w/regular text replies in the future ;)