Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   7 Year old not dry at night, ever! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484424)

ThreeLittleLovies 01-23-2013 06:01 AM

7 Year old not dry at night, ever!

My 7 year old son has only had maybe 5 dry nights in his whole life. We've tried everything except medication. We tried the bedwetting alarm, waking him to go a few times a night, cutting out drinks over an hour before bed. We've had him pee several times before bed. We've used bed pads so he can sleep in underwear and feel the wetness and try to stop himself. Nothing works. What else can we do? We have him sleeping in pull-ups now because we are just tired of the messes.

txmommytobe 01-23-2013 06:06 AM

Have you talked to his pedi ? I know my oldest som wet the bed for a long time and the pedi told me he could be 8 ish before they started to worry. I would talk to them because there could be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

luvsviola 01-23-2013 06:34 AM

Re: 7 Year old not dry at night, ever!

I have a friend whose daughter went on the meds, and she stopped within a month. There is a hormone that supresses urine production that some kids just don't create. It is a medical problem that no amount of waking up is going to fix. I'd try it, personally.

abunchoflemons 01-23-2013 07:29 AM

Boys can take longer. My hunt knows 10 year old guys when he was little with night issues but not now....

Katie Mae 01-24-2013 02:58 PM

My parents tried all those things for me too. I eventually stopped wetting the bed around 8 or so on my own. But if you are super concerned I would definitely keep talking to your doctor. It would ease your mind and if something really is wrong, you'd regret not taking him in.

ThreeLittleLovies 01-24-2013 07:32 PM

I guess I will wait it out until he passes 8 without success. I have spoken to his pedi a lot about it and tried all her ideas. She says he's healthy and bedwetting can take longer for boys. Was just hoping for a new trick.

qsefthuko 01-24-2013 07:34 PM

Time and patience. 3 our of 4 of my siblings and I wet the bed until close to 10 years of age. Believe me we would have changed it if we could have. Just had no control over it. None of us had special needs so that certainly wasn't the issue.

iris0110 01-24-2013 11:04 PM

My youngest is 7 now and he still night wets too. Dh wet the bed late as well (there is definitely a genetic component). It came as a surprise because my oldest was dry at nights/naps by 9months even though he didn't potty train until he was 5 (ASD). Tharen potty trained pretty early (22ish months) but just couldn't stay dry overnight. That was when dh told me that he used to wet the bed and not to worry about it. Some boys can do it as late as their teens. Our pedi recommended trying one of the alarms but to be honest I just don't put much stock in it. He said he wouldn't try the meds until at least 8.

fish3737 01-24-2013 11:23 PM

The alarm or maturity of the bladder worked for us.

My sister is a pediatrician and she said they usually don't recommend the alarm until after age 6.

Both her boys were heavy, heavy sleepers and they both used the alarm - when they graduated they gave it to us. It took the whole summer - at least 3 or 4 months to work.

We dealt with a LOT of wet sheets. I actually made him wear a wool soaker over his underwear as extra insurance.

Then all of a sudden after months - like a miracle - he would just stumble - totally confused out of bed. I would lead him to the bathroom - he would pee - and literally I had to guide him back to his bed because he was literally almost still asleep. This is what he does now. He has been dry at nights for about 6 months.

If you still have the alarm and want to problem solve with me shoot me a pm.

mama_to_DJM 01-24-2013 11:32 PM

I don't think there's a magic tip, sadly. My oldest son finally stopped wetting around 6 1/2 to 7, and my current 6 year old son still wets every night. I have him wear pull ups because I have NO interest in changing the sheets every night. I'm just waiting for him to mature developmentally; I know it'll happen!