Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   new to fleece (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484632)

c&w's mama 01-23-2013 03:57 PM

new to fleece

so, unfortunately I haven't been paying attention because DS didn't seem to be able to wear it at all.

Now I'm testing out fleece pants (just run of the mill carter's pants).

Do you use them once? Or can I reuse if not wet? Would it be gross to use for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night (same pants)? I remember a post about using a lano wool wash on them... does that help?

TIA!

mypeanut09 01-23-2013 04:00 PM

Re: new to fleece

Fleece can be reused if it doesn't smell. And you just wash with regular clothes or in diaper laundry. Lano won't work on fleece because there is none in it to begin with. Lanolin is found naturally in wool that's why it helps with wool. I've never used Carters pants but I've made longies out of anti pill or blizzard fleece.

TrennaII 01-23-2013 04:20 PM

Lanolin actually does help a tad on poly fleece. Some people increase their water-resistance by washing them with fabric softener, which coats the polyester with who knows what. Coating the fleece with lanolin increases its water resistance by coating it with something natural, that also breaks down urine.

I love using Eucalan on all sorts of non-wool items in our house, that are exposed to stuff like perspiration ... fleece, bras, silk, polyester shirts ...

c&w's mama 01-23-2013 08:55 PM

That was it! And I don't want to use fabric softener, so I'll try that. We tried outside play with them on Sunday and they were damp after a very short interval- I think this boost is what they need. So far I've only been washing them with regular laundry. Picked up a few a week ago for a dollar to try out in the high chair for meal times.

boysniris 01-23-2013 10:51 PM

My son could usually wear the same fleece longies all day, but he had very absorbent diapers. I would change them while they were only damp, not wet, on the outside. I found that was the trick to fleece: absorbent diapers. A prefold was not adequate unless it had a nice thirsty doubler placed in the front.

foggierbard9 01-24-2013 07:08 AM

We can reuse fleece pants or diaper covers if she isn't super soaked when I go to change her. The diaper underneath is key as boysniris said. If the pants or cover are a little too damp but not soaked, I will air them out and use a different one then just alternate at each change.

The Fancy Pansy 01-24-2013 08:26 AM

Carters pants are made from microfleece, so they will wick through if the diaper under them gets thoroughly wet. You'll want a thicker fleece pant for longer wear.

TrennaII 01-24-2013 11:44 AM

Carter's fleece repels a bit for us, but not a ton. For instance, for jammies LO wears a cotton layer under a fleece pant, and if his diaper leaks, the fleece keeps the moisture in enough that it'll spread all over the cotton jammies and the bed will be dry. Microfleece is water repellant, it's the backing on my mama cloth.

But yes, better fleece works better and absorbency beneath is key.

c&w's mama 01-25-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysniris (Post 16198420)
My son could usually wear the same fleece longies all day, but he had very absorbent diapers. I would change them while they were only damp, not wet, on the outside. I found that was the trick to fleece: absorbent diapers. A prefold was not adequate unless it had a nice thirsty doubler placed in the front.

:thumbsup: only GMD will hold up for us. All others- including sbish snappless- are back up back ups.

This is all great to know- I just need to change more frequently than with wool- wasn't sure about the damp inside part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggierbard9 (Post 16198840)
We can reuse fleece pants or diaper covers if she isn't super soaked when I go to change her. The diaper underneath is key as boysniris said. If the pants or cover are a little too damp but not soaked, I will air them out and use a different one then just alternate at each change.

my new plan :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy (Post 16199161)
Carters pants are made from microfleece, so they will wick through if the diaper under them gets thoroughly wet. You'll want a thicker fleece pant for longer wear.

I didn't realize! They're so thick and chunky (the pants) I'll just make sure we change even more often. I thought microfleece was what we wanted- like a Lollidoo cover-- what do I want?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrennaII (Post 16200150)
Carter's fleece repels a bit for us, but not a ton. For instance, for jammies LO wears a cotton layer under a fleece pant, and if his diaper leaks, the fleece keeps the moisture in enough that it'll spread all over the cotton jammies and the bed will be dry. Microfleece is water repellant, it's the backing on my mama cloth.

But yes, better fleece works better and absorbency beneath is key.

great info as always!!

The Fancy Pansy 01-25-2013 09:55 AM

Microfleece will let moisture through with pressure. It's a great inner layer for a diaper, or the pants are great over the top of an otherwise moisture proof diaper, say for nightime backup protection. But it doesn't make a good standalone cover.

Thicker fleece, such as blizzard fleece, anti-pill, windpro, etc, will give you MUCH more waterproof protection.