Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vitamins (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484701)

kelpie169 01-23-2013 07:19 PM

Vitamins

What kind of vitamins do you give your kids? What's the best that you've found out there? Doing some research and got a little overwhelmed. I'll try again tomorrow but for now I figured I'd get opinions.

PBAki 01-23-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Vitamins

Ya you could go pretty crazy but for the most part, even organic children's chewables still use your basic vitamins and other minerals but for us, we try to choose the better kind in our eyes. DD2 currently take Rainbow Light chewables. They're delicious! You can check out other brands like Nordic Natural (Nordic Berries are the ones for kids) and I'm sure others can chime in on what their children take.

Green Decals 01-23-2013 08:23 PM

Don't buy any at a big box store. Period. My kids take Standard Process but not every day, only when they need them, and not the same thing every time. The only "kids multivitamin" I have ever given them was Vinco's PediaVite, a liquid, when we needed it for DS2 because of dietary issues he went through for a while.

7mom7 01-24-2013 07:58 AM

My kids take a lot of different vitamins/supplements because they have some health issues. I agree that standard process is a great brand. We've used that in the past. Over the years we've tried a lot of different ones but we currently do a generic organic version of Juice Plus that I get at Sam's- just open the capsule and mix in juice. Our pedi wanted them on Juice Plus but it's too expensive for our family. We do Nordic Natural's Omega 3's and vitamin d. They also do probiotics and enzymes. Most people could probably skip the enzymes but I think the probiotics are a must. They both take an adult dose of probiotics, the children's aren't strong enough. I think the biggest thing is to look for a "whole food" supplement in a multi. Honestly, I'm more concerned with probiotics, omegas, and D than I am with the multi because they eat a healthy diet.

Kimmyann 01-24-2013 08:13 AM

Flintstones

Green Decals 01-24-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmyann (Post 16199111)
Flintstones

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN FLINSTONES! They have aspartame (a neurotoxin), artificial dyes, MSG, genetically-modified corn, and sugar among other things. Same goes for most children's vitamins you can buy at big box stores - they have no place in the bodies of growing children.

ETA: Ingredients in Flintstones:

Granulated Calcium Carbonate (Calcium Carbonate, Dextrose Monohydrate, Sugar, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Maltodextrin), Sorbitol, Sodium Ascorbate, Ferrous Fumarate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Pregelatinized Strach, Gelatin, Vitamin E Acetate, Stearic Acid, Corn Strach; Less than 2% of: Aspartame†, Beta-Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Oxide, FD&ampC Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&ampC Red #40 Aluminum Lake, FD&ampC Yellow #6 Aluminum Lake, Folic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Niacinamide, Pottasium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Silicon Dioxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3(Cholecalciferol), Zinc Oxide.

Contains: Tree Nuts (Coconut), Soy.

†PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

kelpie169 01-24-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN FLINSTONES! They have aspartame (a neurotoxin), artificial dyes, MSG, genetically-modified corn, and sugar among other things. Same goes for most children's vitamins you can buy at big box stores - they have no place in the bodies of growing children.

ETA: Ingredients in Flintstones:

Granulated Calcium Carbonate (Calcium Carbonate, Dextrose Monohydrate, Sugar, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Maltodextrin), Sorbitol, Sodium Ascorbate, Ferrous Fumarate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Pregelatinized Strach, Gelatin, Vitamin E Acetate, Stearic Acid, Corn Strach; Less than 2% of: Aspartame†, Beta-Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Oxide, FD&ampC Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&ampC Red #40 Aluminum Lake, FD&ampC Yellow #6 Aluminum Lake, Folic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Niacinamide, Pottasium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Silicon Dioxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3(Cholecalciferol), Zinc Oxide.

Contains: Tree Nuts (Coconut), Soy.

†PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Agree. I would never EVER give those to my kids. Ick.

3 ladybugs 01-24-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki (Post 16197751)
Ya you could go pretty crazy but for the most part, even organic children's chewables still use your basic vitamins and other minerals but for us, we try to choose the better kind in our eyes. DD2 currently take Rainbow Light chewables. They're delicious! You can check out other brands like Nordic Natural (Nordic Berries are the ones for kids) and I'm sure others can chime in on what their children take.

DS is on the same. Actually all of us are on one Rainbow light or another. I am actually on 2. :)

Newton 01-24-2013 06:52 PM

My daughter takes Flintstones complete on the recommendation of her gastroenterologist

kushie tushie 01-24-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBAki (Post 16197751)

My kids have taken both (the Nordic Berries and Rainbow Light). They love both :)
Right now they are taking Rainbow Light but both were equally as good. I knkw because I tried both. :giggle2:

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!