Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   need post-dedication lunch ideas for a crowd! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484799)

serenas_song 01-24-2013 06:46 AM

need post-dedication lunch ideas for a crowd!

Hi everyone! We'll be having up to 24 people over for lunch right after church in celebration of DD's dedication in a few weeks. I need ideas! It has to be something that I could have in the oven or crockpot for up to 2 hours while we're gone so it would be ready when we get back. Only dietary issue is that MIL cannot have acidic foods due to a bladder problem, so preferably not anything tomoto-based. Although if your idea is really good, I could have something else available for her. :thumbsup:

thanks!

MDever 01-24-2013 07:46 AM

Re: need post-dedication lunch ideas for a crowd!

I am not sure about the climate where you live but if it is winter you might consider a soup bar. That is not a huge crowd so I might do 2 soups one broth and one cream based. Like a chicken noodle or veggie and a broccoli cheese. You could have a great big salad and a variety or crackers and bread.

Spunkify 01-24-2013 07:53 AM

You can do chicken cacciatore in the crock. That's how I do it. You could go easy on the tomatoes or she could pick them off. Can serve with pre-tossed and ready to go salad you pull from the fridge and rolls for a round meal.

You could do BBQ chicken wings in the crock too, that might be a nice little mid-winter treat. You could pair it with ranch dressing, celery, and carrot sticks. Uh, you could do pulled pork in the crock too. Pair it with homemade or store bought rolls for quick and easy food. You could pre-make baked beans, put in the fridge, and reheat in the oven for a little bit the day of the dedication. Can serve with salad for a round meal. Those two things may be messier than you'd like for after church attire though.

Beef stew? Pretty easy and hearty, can be crock potted.

Holly dolly 01-24-2013 08:08 AM

You could do meatballs. I have a good meatballs recipe that uses cream of mushroom or homemade white sauce. It can be in the crock pot for a few hours easily!

Another simple idea is a taco bar...but that can get sort of pricey with all the toppings.

bobbyjk 01-24-2013 12:22 PM

What about a pesto or alfredo based pasta, salad, garlic bread? I know, not that creative, but would work and everyone enjoys :)

Newton 01-24-2013 06:59 PM

Soup and sandwiches?
Pulled pork in crockpot?
Pasta with a variety of sauces?

serenas_song 01-26-2013 05:30 AM

thanks for the ideas everyone!

slimy72 01-26-2013 07:10 AM

Taco bar, Baked potato bar, Soup bar ( make several crocks of different soups and serve with salad and breadsticks)