Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   milk alternatives? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484824)

ohgirlohboyohno 01-24-2013 08:38 AM

milk alternatives?

So, from some trial and error it appears that the baby breaks out in HORRIBLE full body eczema when she drinks whole milk. Odd because she drinks milk based formula and I didn't limit milk when I bf her.

The Dr. rocommended soy milk. HE said it had comparable "nutrition" to cow milk...he said almond milk and coconut and rice milk had less nutritional value and higer sugars etc.

We have tried some soy and it appears to not cause the eczema (only tried one cup a day).

BUT I had friend say soy is loaded with a bunch of hormones....thoughts?

Shaunam 01-24-2013 08:53 AM

I just keep it mixed up. What many plant milks lack that cow's milk has is fat and protein. And you can get other sources of that. Coconut milk has decent fat, but not much protein. There is almond milk with extra protein. I think it's fortified with pea protein or something. Hemp milk is a good alternative. Whatever you pick, if it's lacking in anything and she's a big milk drinker, just get it in her diet some other way.

We have a different situation because my DD is tube fed, but if I use coconut milk, I usually add a scoop of protein powder to her blend. If I use almond milk, I'll use a little protein powder AND some flax oil. I often do two or more kinds of milk in one day and just try to vary it. I just toss things in there to balance out her fat, protein, and carb needs.

ETA: we do use soy milk too. I'm not worried about hormones. You get that in cow's milk too, just different kinds. I just don't want too much of any one food in our diets. Variety is important. I do think it's possible for soy to be harmful if you consume a ton of it, but that can be said of any food. Rice milk is advised against because of the levels of arsenic in it, but only for little kids who consume a lot of it compared to a typical adult diet. But a few cups a week isn't going to hurt anyone.

GreenDahlia 01-24-2013 09:27 AM

Re: milk alternatives?

I initially went through the same confusion. DD1 had a bad reaction to dairy. No matter what you choose, there's always something to worry about. I ended up with soy because it has the most protein and nutrition out of the milk alternatives, and DD is not a good eater. From what I understand, and what other posters mentioned, milk itself is not necessary if nutritional requirements are fulfilled in other ways. Broccoli has lots of calcium and peas have lots of protein, for example. If you have a good eater then I wouldn't be worried.

cyanotype 01-24-2013 09:43 AM

Have you tried goats milk?

Most likely nursing and typing. Please pardon any mistakes. :mrgreen:

JennTheMomma 01-24-2013 09:48 AM

I would do goats milk

sisu 01-24-2013 10:15 AM

We mostly just give water and occasionally unsweetened almond milk. But I'm not worried about my kids getting enough nutrition, they eat anything I put in front of them. They're like goats. :laugh:

nalazimbala 01-24-2013 04:19 PM

kids don't have to have milk. If she likes to drink milk, then a milk alternative would be fine. We do almond and coconut milk. I would avoid soy because of the hormones.

songbird516 01-24-2013 05:17 PM

I used to drink soy milk but since learning more about it I don't and I wouldn't give it to my child. It messes with hormones and is damaging to the thyroid. Raw milk (goat or cow) might not cause the same issues with her. Homemade meat broth is also a great milk substitute. It has a lot of the same nutrients.

raisingcropsandbabies 01-25-2013 05:10 AM

I wouldn't use soy because of the estrogen it has in it and the damage it can cause (I wish I knew about it when my first son was born and I gave him soy formula :( ). I would try raw milk and if you can't get your hands on that, then try almond milk...

lecialefty 01-25-2013 07:52 AM

I'm thinking about trying a home made coconut milk tonic I think is the word this person used. I'll try to grab the link.