Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How did you come to use cloth... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484836)

mothergooseofthree 01-24-2013 09:12 AM

How did you come to use cloth...

And what was your first diaper?

Me:
Ds #2 was a super soaker. By his second week, he would out pee every sposie I tried, and I was changing him, his clothes, his bedding, and often my clothes several times per day and night. I was beginning to think he would sleep longer at night if only he was dry.

I remembered seeing a Motherease ad in a magazine, so I got online to check out cloth. I bought a few small Sandys diapers which were huge on him. I found a cheap cover from a WAHM called Sweet Cheeks. It was a pull-on of one layer of windpro with lastin elastic exposed. But, it worked! He was able to wear it all night, and everything was dry. He was in cloth full time within a week.

The Sandys were around until he outgrew the small, but I switched to Airflow covers. When he moved up in size,I discovered WAHMs and became an addict. I am sure late dh wished I never found anything other than ME dipes. New dh has no idea what he is in for when we conceive.

LionMama 01-24-2013 09:18 AM

We started because I was trying to find a way to save money. My only cloth diapering friend had started with a full set of fuzzibunz that she swears buy but I didn't have the upfront cost. So I got on CL and found someone selling 35 (first version) Tiny Tush one size fitteds with boosters for $50:) I got those and some flip covers at a cloth diaper store I found in town and that's how we started!

momEmac 01-24-2013 09:47 AM

I wanted to save money, I knew dh would flip out over the cost of sposies and since I want several kids, I didn't want him to put the breaks on after one just because of costs like sposies. So I did about 90 hours of research and finally settled on 6 BG 4.0s, prefolds (3 different sizes) and flip and Thirsties covers, plus some accessories. I originally spent about $500 which was mostly gift money. Since then my mil has given me her credit card to order about $400 more. Lol. But we've definitely saved money and everything will be in good shape for the next lo. I don't expect I'll ever use sposies on a regular basis, I love cloth, and saving money! :)

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

dagmomma 01-24-2013 09:55 AM

Re: How did you come to use cloth...

Everytime I put ds1 in a sposie I was so disappointed. This was before I even knew about or did research on cds
1 bc he did not have a fluffy butt--which was strange I thought
2 I hated throwing away things and it grossed me out they were going to a landfill
3 there was leaks or blowouts every other diaper change
4 those gel things from disposables were always all over ds1 no matter if diaper was on for 2 minutes or overnight.

I had this breastfeeding support group I use to visit with once a month and they talked about cding. I thought this was crazy at first (before I had baby I went to these meetings). Then the more I went the more I fell in love with cds. They would show them to me and showed me all the different options.

So I went home and did the research and that was it!!! My first diaper stash consisted of 12 bg 3.0 and it grew to 24 all BG 4.0 that was all I needed.

BinahYeteirah 01-24-2013 10:02 AM

I always assumed I'd use cloth. I've been into environmental causes since grade school, so it seemed like the logical thing. When I got pregnant with my first, I bought a lot of used prefolds and various covers on eBay for about $60. Many of the prefolds were Gerber ones, and most of the covers leaked, but we eventually figured it out and haven't looked back.

Pixi6s 01-24-2013 10:19 AM

My SIL sent me a link to gDiapers about year before we were even tcc. I got hooked and bought a cloth stash for day 1. Couldn't tell you the first diap I bought but the first couple he wore were KL0. From the hospital he wore a BG XS.

We did do gDiapers in Sm and Med but it was never our main diap.

Pixi6s 01-24-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah (Post 16199620)
I always assumed I'd use cloth. I've been into environmental causes since grade school, so it seemed like the logical thing. When I got pregnant with my first, I bought a lot of used prefolds and various covers on eBay for about $60. Many of the prefolds were Gerber ones, and most of the covers leaked, but we eventually figured it out and haven't looked back.

ug, what a way to start!

Kelbel81906 01-24-2013 10:34 AM

I was a SAHM, we were very tight on money, and I felt so horrible and wasteful dragging the bags of diapers down to the curb. When my oldest was 3 months old, I started researching and planned out how I was going to propose it to DH. To my surprise, he said yes right away, without hesitation. I purchased 18 BG 3.0's and immediately was addicted. Nicki's Diapers is local to me, so after I decided to branch out a bit and try different options, I started shopping at their old warehouse location and saw a job posting, and the rest is pretty much history :)

sisu 01-24-2013 10:44 AM

DH is an environmental nut, so he convinced me to try it when I was pregnant with our first. I thought it was gross and was really hoping he'd get over it. :laugh:

The first diapers we bought and used were XS Thirsties AIOs. Loved them, still have them, and I'm excited to use them again on our third kid. :)

omahonycm 01-24-2013 10:46 AM

My DD had horrible rashes and I was spending a fortune for Huggies pure and natural. One day my mom came home telling me about a coworker's daughter who was trying out a diaper called "Bum Genius". I went online and thought they were interesting, then got some organic flips off eBay. I got hooked fast! I think I have tried about 75% of the diapers out there! And have now settled on itti bitti, mutts, a few elbees and BG 3.0 for nights. DD2 has never worn a sposie.