Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bamboo flats or fitteds? Which would you choose? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484846)

FernHollow 01-24-2013 09:37 AM

Bamboo flats or fitteds? Which would you choose?

Deleting for privacy reasons.

Kelbel81906 01-24-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Bamboo flats or fitteds? Which would you choose?

I would go with the flats, it sounds like you are already a pro at using them, and they're just so easy to take care of. You could go for a middle ground and get some bamboo prefolds. That would offer you a slightly easier solution if anyone else was changing diapers and didn't want to deal with flats.

ServingHim 01-24-2013 09:43 AM

I am going with flats for the ease of cleaning and quick drying. Not to mention, cheaper. You could use the money saved on wool or just to save when money gets tighter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum

FernHollow 01-24-2013 09:48 AM

FernHollow 01-24-2013 09:58 AM

supermomof2 01-24-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FernHollow (Post 16199606)
We are going to be moving either this summer while I am very pregnant or shortly after and money could definitely be used in other areas besides diapers I am sure. We probably will end up with an older washer and dryer and now that I think of it the fitteds might take forever to dry. I am used to our FLer tha spins out the water! I am ok with spending more on the Sbish if we will really use/love them since they would save us from buying sposies. I am just not sure if flats or expensive fitteds will be more stressful for a homeschooling mama of 6.

The great thing about the flats is that they are SO versatile while also being extremely inexpensive. If you went with the flats and your new baby is able to tolerate pul, then you would have multiple different diapering options: padfolding in covers, padfolding in pockets, traditional folds in covers (origami, etc.), traditional folds in wool.

Plus, there's the washing-drying issue -- flats are just so much easier than fitteds with that: drying time is so short, no washing problems with hard water, etc. That's actually why I stopped using fitteds with my last LO. It felt like any money I was saving from using CD was being eaten up in the crazy long drying time, not to mention all the laundry drama we were having because of hard water. In fact, right now our washer is having problems (hope to have it fixed today) and because I was already using all flats I was able to easily switch to hand washing without any problems.

On top of that, because the flats are so inexpensive, you could even snag a pack or two of your favorite sposies to use during those days/times that your life gets really crazy, kwim? Like during the middle of a crazy school day that's on the verge of getting out of control :giggle:.

FWIW, I'm a homeschooling mama of 5 with DH in school also :goodvibes: and I'm using the flats 100% of the time right now and I absolutely love it.

The ONLY part I don't really like is when LO has a massive poo that needs major ducking and swishing to get it all out of the numerous folds in the flat. But that is seriously the only thing that I don't really like about using flats.

marliah 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

Sounds like flats would be a great fit. :thumbsup:

FernHollow 01-24-2013 10:48 AM

Just went ahead and ordered a dozen large GMD unbleached flats and a new snappi. I will pack everything else away and try it for a couple weeks. It is so cheap to try out and that way I will be 100% sure that I am making the right choice. If I hate it then no worries because I can use them for another purpose. I went with GMd because I trust cotton to stay folded around the legs better and 2 sizes would probably be best. Just wish they came in organic.

supermomof2 01-24-2013 01:33 PM

BTW, I forgot to say earlier....congrats on baby #6!!! :)

FernHollow 01-24-2013 02:08 PM