Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would your DH/SO go to the hospital? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484910)

momgoddesswife 01-24-2013 01:22 PM

Would your DH/SO go to the hospital?

I was talking with a friend about our son being in the hospital and my DH taking him into the ER while I stayed home with the older 2. She said she can't believe my DH would go, that I should be grateful because her DH would never take one of their kids to the hospital.

I guess recently their 14yr old was celebrating her birthday and their 5 year old daughter broke her foot during the party. He refused to take her to the hospital and also refused to stay with the party kids because he was too intimidated. The 5 year old had to wait 3 hours for the party to end and parents to pic up before my friend could then take her in to the ER.

She said she doesn't think he would even go in to the hospital even if one of their kids was born early in the NICU. :eek:

I just can't get my head around this. Seriously if that was my DH I would be telling him he's taking her in or I am leaving and taking her, too bad so sad. It's just odd to me, when you decide to be a parent you have the responsibility of keeping them well and safe and sometimes that means getting over being uncomfortable and sucking it up.

It got me wondering though are there lots of men/people like this?

So what would your SO/DH do?

mibarra 01-24-2013 01:30 PM

Re: Would your DH/SO go to the hospital?

Of course he would. He often takes them to Urgent Care currently as needed because I'm pregnant and don't want to sit in a room full of sick kids. Now, if I weren't pregnant, my personal preference is for me to go, because I get too stressed sitting at home waiting to hear.

When DD1 was in the NICU and I was still recovering from my c-section he got up an hour early every day and went to the hospital to sit in on rounds for her and then called to give me an update on how she was doing. He then came straight to the hospital after work to hold her until shift change when we went home and went to bed. He would never hesitate to take any of our children for necessary medical care.

mcpforever 01-24-2013 01:37 PM

He would and he has. I would and I have. He actually prefers to be the one to do it. I think he wants to protect me from the stress.

If I am understanding the situation described in the OP, the OP was hosting a party so one parent needed to stay to host while the other went with the injured child to the ER. I can't imagine a father refusing to do either and forcing his child to wait in pain for his emotional convenience. He would have to have a bonified mental disorder of some sort for that to even be considered. Even then, I'd start calling the parents of the teens and explaining the situation so the party could end early.

stevensmom 01-24-2013 01:37 PM

if something like that were to happen we'd drop the other kid off at our parents or have the neighbors watch them and we'd both go to the ER with the sick child.

JennTheMomma 01-24-2013 01:48 PM

Yes without hesitation

ohgirlohboyohno 01-24-2013 01:49 PM

DH would take a kid but he wouldn't know ANYTHING important...like seriously...nothing...birthday, allergies, vaccine schedule, previous injuries, symptoms, etc...he is clueless about the specifics of the kids, and has horrible memory, he wouldn't be able to tell them where they were born, type of pregnancy, any complications etc.

So, needless to say I take the kids for anything like that.

Friday Emma is going under General anesthesia on friday and DH is staying home with the baby...he would just sit there and not be much help anyway...this way he is helpful...cross your fingers nothing happens to the baby :giggle2:

I_run_with_scissors 01-24-2013 01:50 PM

of course my DH would take our kids to the hospital for something serious! I cant believe your friends DH, that poor little one

like a PP said he wouldnt know anything important, but he would get them there if thats where they needed to be

mamaerica 01-24-2013 01:50 PM

He would, but if only one of us could go it would be me because I deal with sickness better than he does.

Kiliki 01-24-2013 01:51 PM

yes. My DH would, definitely.

We prefer to go together for those types of things, so we both can hear all the info. But if we couldn't for whatever reason, yes, absolutely, he would take the kids if they needed to go.

Now, my DH's definition of an emergency may be different than mine.... but that is another thread. LOL

eliz7 01-24-2013 01:52 PM

I can't imagine not going myself or with him. I cant think of a reason that I wouldn't be there, BUT dh would do ANYTHING for the kids if necessary.