Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I need help with leaky diapers! :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485198)

lareinaisabel 01-25-2013 09:30 AM

I need help with leaky diapers! :(

So, our 8 month old son has been having pretty leaky diapers at least half of the mornings when I get him up for the day. He's also been having night wakings and having a hard time falling back asleep and I'm wondering if it's because of these leaky diapers!

We use BumGenius 4.0s and they're leaking out the top of the front and getting a good part of his undershirt onesie wet. :/ He's a little guy, just around 16 lbs, so we're on the middle snap setting with 2-3 sets of buttons/snaps showing in the middle. I'm wondering if it's a sizing issue of some kind because I just stripped them (with Dawn) last weekend! I DO dry the inserts on "low" in the dryer. Is it possible I ruined them? I thought it was ok to dry them on low, but when I asked a friend today about it she said not to do that! But, I've been doing it for 7 months now! :/

During the day we use just one insert, but at night we use a regular AND a newborn insert together. But, I WILL say that I don't think there's an absorbency issue because both inserts are absolutely soaked in the morning. So, should I start by putting two regular inserts in there? 8 months seems early to do that, but maybe he's just a big nighttime wetter.

We have had some daytime leaks as well, but those are usually when my parents watch him, and I'm not entirely convinced they're good at making sure the inserts are flat and snapping it tight enough. But, maybe it's the same problem both times. :/

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Elizabeth

nonipie 01-25-2013 09:40 AM

Re: I need help with leaky diapers! :(

Well since they are soaked then that actually IS an absorbency issue. I for one do not think that microfiber is particularly absorbent and once the baby gets older compression leaks are common. I prefer cotton because it is more absorbent and easier to clean. I would switch out your inserts for cotton flats or prefolds during the day. At night I would try make a cotton flat and 1-2 hemp doublers or something like a Flip organic.

Also why are you stripping? Do they smell? I would make you are are getting them clean on a regular basis and that should help as well.

ETA: Diapers in general, especially BG IMO are made to take a lot of abuse. No need to baby them. Drying on hot will do nothing to ruin them. I have been using the same set for many years and I wash hot, use Tide and bleach, everything goes in the dryer on hot etc. We have no leaks though once I switch to all cotton.

Mrs2011 01-25-2013 09:40 AM

My son was the same way I did a reg insert with a hemp insert under it. And that works but is super bulky. Now we use a Eco posh fitted with a cover over it. And I use both liners that come with my eco posh.

rooster2012 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

My seven month old daughter was having the same issue at naps and bedtime. She's a tummy sleeper and heavy wetter. I've switched to double stuffed hemp for naps and fitteds for overnight.

keen1981 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

I'd definitely try more inserts or Antigua time specific diaper. Most diapers wouldn't get a baby thru the night like that.

raymark 01-25-2013 10:27 AM

Like others I too think you're having absorbency issues.

Somewhere around 5-6 months of age I had to switch to fitteds & wool at night. Before my LOs were 1 we needed to use night time fitteds. Shortly after they turned 1 we started using night time sposies because they could not toddle around comfortably in their other night time bulk. For about a month or two we needed to put wool over a night time sposie but that phase soon ended.

ashleyg103 01-25-2013 11:27 AM

I use 4.0s at night for my boys and was hanging the same problem, I stuff them now with a thirsties hemp prefold and a babykicks hemp insert, they are 7 months old and 15lbs and still nurse 2 to 3 times a night so they are soaked by the morning, a few times they leaked out of this combo but i started putting wool overtop and they have been dry since

sweetest 01-25-2013 11:44 AM

My LO is 8 months old and we were having lots of night time leaking (even sposies leaked). We tried lots of things and are now using a large padfolded GMD flat with a medium baby kicks hemp doubler in a BG 4.0 for overnight. It is working great!

During the day I stuff pockets with Capri inserts and never have a leak... We were getting lots of leaks with microfiber. I prefer the squishy was if the microfiber insert but it just isn't absorb ant enough! I use the Capri inserts because I hate folding... I think padfolding a small GMD flat would give you similar absorbancy (for a lot less $$).

srw.mutter 01-25-2013 11:51 AM

It probably is an absorbency issue. I would try added more inserts or hemp or something more absorbent.

Also, you might want to try to use a wool cover over the pocket to prevent leakage onto clothes/sheets. If it is the leaking that keeps your babe from falling back asleep, wool would help with that.

lareinaisabel 01-25-2013 01:06 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice! I don't have any hemp inserts, but we do have some bamboo inserts. Would those work as well as the recommended hemp?

Also, where can I get wool covers? So, I just put that on OVER the entire BG diaper?

And lastly, the BG website recommends stripping for leak issues, so I thought I'd try it! But that obviously wasn't the problem.

Thanks!