Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grovia AI2 Woes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485321)

Hi-Dog 01-25-2013 12:44 PM

Grovia AI2 Woes

So, I LOVE the fit of Grovia AI2s and the convenience of snapping soakers in and out when on the go or when I am being generally lazy. However, DD SOAKS them easily (sometimes in under an hour) and we get leaks (like the shell ends up wet on the outside around the legs). Do the Grovia Boosters really help or should I just sell them and get more fitteds and hemp prefolds?

We use the stay dry soakers, if that matters and they were well prepped and we have been using them for about 3 months.

I am so sad because I like them a lot, but even when she soaks a Freetime or a fitted we very very rarely get leaks.

mibarra 01-25-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Grovia AI2 Woes

Is the entire soaker wet when this happens? If not, then they aren't actually fully prepped. I had to prep mine with 4 washes in a regular detergent (All Free and Clear) before they were really ready to go.

I really like the softbums bamboo mini pods as boosters. They fit nicely in between the two soaker layers and are very trim. :)

Hi-Dog 01-25-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16205420)
Is the entire soaker wet when this happens? If not, then they aren't actually fully prepped. I had to prep mine with 4 washes in a regular detergent (All Free and Clear) before they were really ready to go.

I really like the softbums bamboo mini pods as boosters. They fit nicely in between the two soaker layers and are very trim. :)

The entire soaker is wet, I have checked. Thanks for the tip on the softbums, I would like to try something that just slips inside the soaker since all my other boosters/inserts are huge!

Pink84 01-25-2013 01:08 PM

interested in answers --subbing

Melinda29 01-25-2013 01:12 PM

I had a similar problem, sometimes it was the soaker being totally saturated and sometimes wicking through the threads around the elastic. Either way, tons of leaks. It seems like anything small enough to fit a smaller baby is not going to ne absorbant enough for an older baby. I have found that to be true in all brands of diapers.

But I LOVE the fit of Grovias. So I now use trifolding preflats in my shells. I took flats, folded them into four layers, and serged them into rectangles that are 10x12" and 13x15". You can fold them in thirds either the short way or the long way, depending on how big the baby is. The smaller ones work awesomely from birth to about 18 pounds. By the time they are getting too short, they are also not absorbant enough, so I switch to the bigger ones. If you can't or don't want to sew, try just padfolding flats. Good unbleached flats are more absorbant than the Grovia soakers. I have also heard the new Grovia prefolds are great.

meljc 01-25-2013 02:07 PM

The boosters hold an extra 3oz. DS rarely leaks with a booster in there!

Pixi6s 01-25-2013 02:44 PM

I'd try another AI2 if you think them :) I do. The best bottom inserts are pretty large. The softbums is bamboo and they way its designed would be easier to add a booster if needed.

I don't really understand where you'd put the booster in the grovia but if you want I could send you one cheap, I have cotton ones that are 3 years old - not sure if they improved on them. (we never needed it in the grovia using the cotton inserts)

hpfgirl 01-25-2013 05:12 PM

I used the regular cotton inserts with boosters until DS outgrew them. Loved 'em.

meljc 01-25-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 16205855)
I'd try another AI2 if you think them :) I do. The best bottom inserts are pretty large. The softbums is bamboo and they way its designed would be easier to add a booster if needed.

I don't really understand where you'd put the booster in the grovia but if you want I could send you one cheap, I have cotton ones that are 3 years old - not sure if they improved on them. (we never needed it in the grovia using the cotton inserts)

For plain cotton ones, I put them between the layers of the stay dry soakers. For stay dry boosters I put them on top of the organic cotton soakers.

RockinLou 01-25-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meljc

For plain cotton ones, I put them between the layers of the stay dry soakers. For stay dry boosters I put them on top of the organic cotton soakers.

This is what I do, with DD we needed a booster with ever change by the time she was 2, same with DS at 20 months, the booster fits very nicely right between the layers of the stay dry soaker and makes a big difference for us, I use 2 if it might be more than 3 hours ( like a nap on a super tired day)