Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fitted love? Yes or no? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485544)

Liaklong 01-26-2013 09:26 AM

Fitted love? Yes or no?

I am a big AIO fan. My stash is mostly BGE & Grovia's w/a few Freetimes. I do have 10 Flip covers though, that I use w/prefolds & inserts. I heard such good things about fitteds, I decided to buy/trade a few to check them out. I have 2 simple contour dipes, 2 workhorses, 2 kiwi pie (older style), a BSRB & a Roots cloth (I do love this one- soooo soft). I guess I just don't get it. I do like the workhorses b/c they are basically a modified prefold, but having to do the snaps of the fitted & then a cover on top just seems like so much work. I know I've read some mamas use fitteds w/out covers at home, but my dh pees right through them. I haven't been able to go coverless.

So to those of you who use fitteds, what's you favorite & how do you use them (all the time, only at night, etc.)?

Has anyone tried fitteds & decided against them? Why?

Lastly, I use Freetimes at night w/ a cotton/hemp doubler but am considering selling them b/c I much prefer the natural fabrics. Any suggestions as to how I could use my fitteds overnight. Do you use a fitted at night & w/what else? Right now I am leak free w/ the Freetimes w/ doubler but want to remove the mf from my stash.

Thanks mamas!!! :-D

marliah 01-26-2013 09:29 AM

Re: Fitted love? Yes or no?

We use to use flats only, til my youngest started having poopy blowouts every time. Then we switched to motherease sandies. We really like them!thats all we use now for both my two year old and the baby :) so cute and so easy to use!

qsefthuko 01-26-2013 09:33 AM

I think for us a fitted is very similar to an AIO for you. We are 100% wool so we put the fitted on and pull up the pants. No extra cover needed. The pants are the covers. I do primarily use flats and prefolds but definitely understand the draw of an AIO for those who do not use wool as there are times I want the ease of our fitteds instead. Like at 2 in the morning when ds2 still isn't sleeping and I am falling asleep with the knitting needles still in my hands and a stitch hanging on the needle not finished.

rainbowgirl28 01-26-2013 09:41 AM

I like fitteds, but they can be harder to wash and dry. Our hot water where we live now only gets lukewarm, which gives me a lot of trouble with ammonia, and fitteds are the hardest for me to get clean. These days I mostly use them overnight.

togetherinthelandofoz 01-26-2013 10:08 AM

I tried a lot of different fitteds, mainly for nighttime. I never really got into daytime fitteds except for maybe naps. I was the same way with it just seamed like more work and I didn't really need absorbency all over like that.

FOr nighttime I did fitteds for several months. I tried
sbish snapless-didn't like using a snappi at night
sbish sized-too massive
Goodmamas & Piddlepoddles-too many snaps
HH Hemp Pocket-rise WAY too short
Hemp in general-too crunchy
Bumboo bamboo fitted-nice but a little confusing to use
Bamboozles-My favorite. If I was still using fitteds this would be my go-to diaper. I used this with the snap in soaker & a Green Line Doubler or Babykicks joey bunz

But, I got tired of hanging these to dry or drying on low forever. The bamboozles did dry the fastest. I also new the elastic would go out on them and their so expensive I didn't want to deal with that.

Now I have some motherease one size fitteds. I use them with a snap in soaker and Green Line Doubler. They do fit great and you can lay anything in them to add absorbency. I like that these can be thrown in the dryer with my prefolds and everything dries at about the same time.

I used Disana wool soakers over my fitteds.

However, I don't use those right now because my favorite for nights is a Imagine Bamboo Medium Prefold w/Green Line Doubler in a Wallypop fleece cover. It's so easy, breathable and easy to wash. No elastic to deal with, it's great!

So to sum up MEOS fitteds are the only ones I've kept and those aren't really like most fitteds in my opinion. Besides that, I'm not a fan a fitteds.

aylasmommy 01-26-2013 10:22 AM

We only use fitteds with wool (will be trying fleece soon). For us however it's because my children are sensitive to the heat pul causes. There is absolutely no way I would ever risk those rashes again.

srw.mutter 01-26-2013 10:40 AM

We use mostly Sbish snapless at night. We use fitteds when we need some coverless time; bamboozles, orange diaper co, Under the nile. We have also used Babeee Greens, Kissaluvs, Mutts; while they were fine enough, the fit was a little off for us.

dagmomma 01-26-2013 12:16 PM

I like fitteds for the NB stage. After that I like them for an older baby in the summer with no cover. I live way down south so it is good for circulation.

I prefer AIOs, BG 4.0, Flats and PFS. We have an all cotton stash other than the BG 4.0 (but they are stuffed with oranic flip insert).

I am not a fan of Bamboo fitteds. For me even though they are super absorant they are extremely hard to wash bc of that. Also, DS2 had an allergic reaction to some--not all bamboo, so I have to be very picky with some of our choices and that is why I do all cotton.

ekesqueaky 01-26-2013 02:29 PM

We switched to fitteds at night when DD started leaking out of her double-stuffed pockets (around 18 months). My favorite combo is a Sustainablebabyish Snapless Multi with a Blueberry One Size Coverall (Boingo for fastening, although that may not really be necessary at night).

NeilsRene 01-26-2013 02:55 PM

I hate fitteds. They never worked for DS1. He soaked right through them in no time. I tried a couple brands, and while they were nice and soft, they just didn't work for us at all.