Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is it? "Uncomfortable" 9 month old... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486188)

jcarter 01-28-2013 09:09 AM

What is it? "Uncomfortable" 9 month old...

DD is 9 months old and a *terrible* sleeper. She wakes 4-5 times per night and naps are a crapshoot. Sometimes I can get her down, sometimes not. Usually they last 45 minutes if I'm lucky. DH is home with her this morning and everytime he watches her he says she is "uncomfortable" and often ends up giving her motrin in order to get her to take a nap. Since the motrin seems to help it seems like she must be in pain...but I don't know what it is.

If it is teething pain, it's been going on straight for a month and a half with no teeth coming through. Does that happen? She doesn't seem to mind when I rub her gums, but she does drool a lot and chews on everything.

She has had problems with constipation but we are giving her miralax now (after trying to manage it with juice/prunes with no success) and that seems to be under control.

She is my first and I feel like a bad mama! I just don't know what to think. Can it be growing pains? I hate giving her drugs if she doesn't need them and just treating the symptoms and not the underlying problem.

menthomas 01-28-2013 09:13 AM

Re: What is it? "Uncomfortable" 9 month old...

That is my ds2 also! You are not a bad mama! She may be dealing with teething problems. She could be learning a new skill and its keeping her mind occupied. My ds2 is getting ready to turn 10 months and he is a horrible sleeper. Even when sleeping with me and dh he is still tossing and turning and crying out in his sleep. It's just a phase and she will outgrow it. Its just tiring going through it. I completely understand!

jcarter 01-28-2013 11:05 AM

I just hate feeling so clueless! Thanks mama, I know it'll get better...just have to keep slogging though, I guess:0

oneduckstuck5 01-28-2013 11:32 AM

Since it seems to be when she's laying down could it be a reflux issue? Just thinking out loud. It's so hard to know when they can't talk! They also do go through stages where they seem to wake up for a period of time (just when you think you've got them figured out!). Probably not an ear problem if she's not dealing with a cold (although the drainage can be unnoticeable if it's just internal).

Teething could be a possibility too, and during the day she's more distracted and so doesn't fuss as much. When she lays down she could be more aware of it. You could try giving her something like hylands teething tablets and since it's homeopathic even if it's not the issue she's not getting unnecessary medicine. If it seems to be reflux or gas related maybe try Mommy Bliss Gripe water.

I know, I made it clear as mud for you! :) Just trying to toss out some ideas. Hang in there, you'll be thru this stage before you know it. And don't beat yourself up about, we've all gone through this. Kids are resiliant and I'm sure she will be just fine (and so will you).

jcarter 01-28-2013 03:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it is reflux, she doesn't have any other symptoms. We've tried the hylands tablets and they didn't seem to do anything. I haven't yet tried gripe water...I may have to try that next.

mcpforever 01-28-2013 04:17 PM

I really think it's developmental and not an ailment. All 3 of mine went from sleeping for a decent stretch (say a few hours at a time) to waking every 45 minutes. Interestingly 45 minutes is the amount of time for a single sleep cycle at that age. So, they were completing a cycle and then not transitioning back to sleep for another (much needed) sleep cycle.

For my kids, making sure they didn't get overtired helped a lot. They still took 2 good naps at that age. And night weaning helped. We did it with DD at that age, since she was on formula and we knew she was getting enough to eat in general. DS2 was night weaned by 12 months since my breasts don't have handy little oz markers on them. ;) DS1 I just had to "rebink" until he figured out how to find his own binky and put it back in himself.

jcarter 01-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 16218136)
since my breasts don't have handy little oz markers on them. ;)

wouldn't that be handy, though? and I wish she would take a paci...we tried but it just wasn't her thing. She doesn't suck her thumb, either, and I kinda wonder if that isn't part of it - since my boobs are her only source of sucking comfort. Anyway...I haven't figured out how we are going to night wean. We had been down to just two nursings but that was two months ago. Now she won't even calm for DH at night. It is the boob or lots of screaming, and I can't take the screaming.

doodah 01-28-2013 07:51 PM

the 45 minute thing tells me that this is a self soothing issue. it takes time for kids to learn how to self soothe so either you help her learn to sleep longer stretches or you build associations for her so she can soothe back to sleep (which means you may have to do that every time she wakes because she will start relying on you if she doesnt self soothe).

cdeweese 01-28-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 16219091)
the 45 minute thing tells me that this is a self soothing issue. it takes time for kids to learn how to self soothe so either you help her learn to sleep longer stretches or you build associations for her so she can soothe back to sleep (which means you may have to do that every time she wakes because she will start relying on you if she doesnt self soothe).

This. And Motrin makes my kids sleepy, so I don't think it's making her pain go away, it's just making her tired.

EmilytheStrange 01-28-2013 08:22 PM

9 month sleep regression.

unfortunately, very normal.

http://www.babysleepsite.com/tag/9-m...ep-regression/

http://www.askmoxie.org/2008/03/talk-about-the.html

http://www.troublesometots.com/the-t...p-regressions/