Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   daycare providers -- how do you do it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486544)

keysersoze 01-29-2013 08:36 AM

daycare providers -- how do you do it?

This is my fourth week watching my almost 3 month old nephew 10 hours a day, 4 days a week (for free), and I feel like I spend all my time tending to the nephew's needs, and have only two small windows of the day to focus on my three kids while the nephew is asleep. The whole reason my wife and i make sacrifices is so that i can be here with them, and i feel like i've barely seen them in three weeks. While my house is clean, I can't get to any organizing/decluttering projects, I no longer have any time at all to sit down during the day, etc. So, before I tell my brother that he either needs to pay me (so that at least I feel like there's a financial benefit to feeling like I'm spending all my time taking care of somebody else's kid), or find another care situation, are there any tips or tricks to share that make the transition of caring for a child who is not yours, easier?

escapethevillage 01-29-2013 08:59 AM

Re: daycare providers -- how do you do it?

Well, I don't do it for free. That would be a lot harder to give up 10 hours a day for free.

BUT, I have a complete set up. I have a huge room dedicated to daycare, with big climbers, and tumbling mats etc. Then, I drag tables, art supplies, toys and more tumbling mats into the family room and kitchen, so the bigger kids have tons to do if i'm super busy.

Then, (and I swear, this is the only reason I'll take infants) I use baby carriers. I have slings, mei tais, Buckle ties, wraps.... and if I did not have those things, I wouldn't do it.

I've learned over time that Dr Brown's bottles are the spawn of Satan. I have never met so many babies with feeding problems until the Dr Brown's came out...now it takes forever to feed a baby, they are not relaxing while they eat, and it ends up being a stressful time. So, I will no longer accept an infant with the Dr Brown Bottles. People think they are great because it's the new popular thing.

I also put the infant down to sleep in a dark quiet room. Sleep begets sleep. If the child is not getting enough sleep, he or she will have more trouble sleeping all the time. They don't just become exhausted and sleep for four hours. They need to feel rested, fed, cared for, attached etc. When all of his or her needs are met the baby will start hanging out in a baby chair and watching all the fun. (but, they are still very hands on no matter what)

sojomisa 01-29-2013 08:59 AM

So I got to the free part and my head exploded. 40 hours a week for free? You're working a full time job for free. You are a saint.

I'm not a DCP but I will say that 3months is still very young. I think once the babe is 6 months or so and more mobile, can interact more, and sit up it will get better in terms of you not needing to be so hands on with that one child. You could use a bouncer, swing, exersaucer now in short bursts to give yourself a chance to interact with your own children more.

Good luck! I hope your brother appreciates your amazing generosity.

escapethevillage 01-29-2013 08:59 AM

DP

sojomisa 01-29-2013 08:59 AM

dp

keen1981 01-29-2013 09:02 AM

I would charge. Even my sister. Charge at least $120

escapethevillage 01-29-2013 09:09 AM

May I ask why you are working a full time job for free? I'm not being snarky, I'm just wondering why your sister/brother/inlaws can't pay a daycare provider to do the job. It is a huge, hard job.

d_arnold 01-29-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16220524)
May I ask why you are working a full time job for free? I'm not being snarky, I'm just wondering why your sister/brother/inlaws can't pay a daycare provider to do the job. It is a huge, hard job.

I agree. They should be paying you something.

chillimom 01-29-2013 10:07 AM

another recommendation for babywearing! The only way to still get things done when you have a little baby. Keeps the baby happy, keeps the parent happy, and is healthy for both to boot :)

And I think it's wonderful that you're helping your family out!

carriek38 01-29-2013 10:15 AM

You're a saint. Time with a wee one inherently does take time from the older kids, & while I'd do a lot for family, I don't know that I'd add a fourth to my daily schedule with no compensation. And 10 hr days are loooong days.

That said, I think some of the suggestions are great. A cohesive schedule is a great place to start; I know that 3 month olds can't really be "scheuled" yet, but it lets your kids know what to expect & the loose structure may make things feel more manageable for you. Two good naps for the baby...gives you some time with your kids. If your kids also have some free-play or down time, separate from baby's nap time, you could put baby in a bouncer, swing, etc., to try to get some things done. I just know that, outside of the bouncer, DD's needs seemed incessant at that age. It was just a rapid cycle of feeding, burping, diaper changing, putting down for sleep, doing a couple quick things, picking up from sleep, rinse, repeat.