Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   How do I thaw avocado to serve?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486696)

Mellymel 01-29-2013 02:11 PM

How do I thaw avocado to serve??

How do I thaw acocado and other foods that you do not serve warm??
I am planning on making my own baby food and freezing it. So I figured I would pull out what I need for the next day and let it thaw in the fridge. Then microwave what ever foods I am serving warm. But I'm just not sure about foods that get served at room temperature :banghead:

desibob 01-29-2013 03:55 PM

Re: How do I thaw avocado to serve??

I want to know this too! Also, how are you freezing your avocado?

Mellymel 01-29-2013 04:06 PM

I have not started yet, I am just getting prepared :) another month before I'm introducing solids. But I plan to put it in ice cube trays then after frozen put it in freezer bags.

Mellymel 01-29-2013 08:53 PM

Bump

mollym 01-30-2013 08:38 PM

No answers, but I'm equally curious.

MommyZ of 2 01-30-2013 09:27 PM

I wouldn't freeze it at all. Just mush it before feeding. That's the greatest thing about avocados and bananas! There ready to feed with no cooking. If you mush it and freeze, you will likely have a brown blob of avocado once you thaw it. Looks gross, but will probably taste the same.

Mellymel 02-01-2013 03:09 PM

bump

Hi-Dog 02-01-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2 (Post 16227977)
I wouldn't freeze it at all. Just mush it before feeding. That's the greatest thing about avocados and bananas! There ready to feed with no cooking. If you mush it and freeze, you will likely have a brown blob of avocado once you thaw it. Looks gross, but will probably taste the same.

Exactly! Avocados and bananas are our go-to foods that we alway have on hand and DD loves them. She's at the point where we don't really mash them. We usually will share an avocado if they are really big. Another thing you can do is serve half the avocado, then coat the other half in lemon or lime juice, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate (it will last a day or so).

terrordactyl 02-02-2013 03:51 PM

I wouldn't freeze avo's they end up going rotten, I also would read up on Microwaves before using them to warm baby food up. If a microwave can disinfect a sponge in 30 seconds what is it doing to your food in 3 min?

luvinmybaby! 02-02-2013 10:02 PM

Great advice about the avocado, one of my favorite fruits! And I learned something about how to disinfect a sponge too, lol :-)
We usually eat 1/2 and refrigerate 1/2. The refrigerated half generally needs to be eaten the next day for us. I scrape off the thin top layer of brown, but it is beautiful green under that to eat.