Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My son wants his hair long (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486764)

AVDesigns 01-29-2013 05:40 PM

My son wants his hair long

DH is not a fan of boys with long hair (he hated it the last time it was long and hated when people mistook him for a girl) but LJ wants his hair long again and I have always let the kids decide how they want their hair.

I'd love to see pics of your little boys with long hair so we can get an idea of how to let it grow.

linz2491 01-29-2013 05:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my almost 12 year old

Sorry the first pic I accidentally put in there and I don't know how to delete. Also the one in the brown sweater he is wearing a headband

AVDesigns 01-29-2013 06:09 PM

Re: My son wants his hair long

Quote:

Originally Posted by linz2491 (Post 16222947)

Sorry the first pic I accidentally put in there and I don't know how to delete. Also the one in the brown sweater he is wearing a headband

Love his hair! The shaggy period in between short and long drives me crazy...lol Did you do any trimming while it was growing out?

bluedaisyma 01-29-2013 06:35 PM

this is my 2 1/2 yr old, never even had a trim. when wet and straight it goes all the way down his back. 3 of his 4 older brothers have super long hair- 2 with dreads, 1 with braids

mmmom 01-29-2013 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my 5 year old. The hair is not in his eyes in the side view, it sort of parts in the middle so he can see.

Attachment 132397

Attachment 132398

eliz7 01-29-2013 07:02 PM

My DS had had long hair his whole life. He is almost 12. These pictures are from the past couple of years.

Attachment 132400

Attachment 132401

Attachment 132402

Attachment 132403

It's been longer but never shorter than these pictures. People always thought he was a girl but it never bothered him. Now that he is older no one thinks he's a girl.

OnAnnaTime 01-29-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linz2491

He looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt! So cute.

I just cut DS's hair a few weeks ago. I am also in the let them have it however they want, with the stipulation they allow me to brush or comb it. He wasn't letting me comb it, so I cut it. It's still long compared to his pals, but it's short for him! I am hoping he wants to grow it out again, he's pretty cute with long hair.

linz2491 01-29-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVDesigns

Love his hair! The shaggy period in between short and long drives me crazy...lol Did you do any trimming while it was growing out?

He has had it long and short for several years. It grows out, drives me crazy cuz it is so thick and in his eyes and I cut it. Then it grows out again pretty quick. The bangs is what I always had trouble growing out. We finally have done it. I hated the bangs cut straight across. I do usually cut a couple inches off every few months. His hair is past his shoulders now so will probably get cut some in the next few days. His hair was short in summer 2011, grew out and his stepmother had his hair hacked (badly) in feb 2012 and while still long it was much shorter and he had the horrid straight across bangs. I've probably cut some length off once since then. It grows so fast!

Also headbands was a huge revelation for me. When he is doing something and his hair is in his eyes I stick on a gender nuetral black elastic headband. I was kicking myself for not thinking of it years ago! I will also braid the bangs to the back at home heehee.

AVDesigns 01-29-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linz2491 (Post 16223278)
He has had it long and short for several years. It grows out, drives me crazy cuz it is so thick and in his eyes and I cut it. Then it grows out again pretty quick. The bangs is what I always had trouble growing out. We finally have done it. I hated the bangs cut straight across. I do usually cut a couple inches off every few months. His hair is past his shoulders now so will probably get cut some in the next few days. His hair was short in summer 2011, grew out and his stepmother had his hair hacked (badly) in feb 2012 and while still long it was much shorter and he had the horrid straight across bangs. I've probably cut some length off once since then. It grows so fast!

Also headbands was a huge revelation for me. When he is doing something and his hair is in his eyes I stick on a gender nuetral black elastic headband. I was kicking myself for not thinking of it years ago! I will also braid the bangs to the back at home heehee.

I'm not a fan of the bangs straight across either...I'm just trying to decide how to keep it trimmed up around the bangs until it does grow out. Can't stand to see it in his eyes.

This was christmas morning. He got the scissors to his hair right in front and cut a small bit at his bangs. It's still fairly short, but starting to get shaggy looking.

How can I tame his hair to stay out of his face as it grows longer?

AVDesigns 01-29-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma (Post 16223092)
this is my 2 1/2 yr old, never even had a trim. when wet and straight it goes all the way down his back. 3 of his 4 older brothers have super long hair- 2 with dreads, 1 with braids

gorgeous!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmom (Post 16223101)
This is my 5 year old. The hair is not in his eyes in the side view, it sort of parts in the middle so he can see.

Attachment 132397

Attachment 132398

I like this style. DS's hair is really thick...when it was long before it was just to the bottom of his ear lobe. And I loved playing with it. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliz7 (Post 16223198)
My DS had had long hair his whole life. He is almost 12. These pictures are from the past couple of years.

Attachment 132400

Attachment 132401

Attachment 132402

Attachment 132403

It's been longer but never shorter than these pictures. People always thought he was a girl but it never bothered him. Now that he is older no one thinks he's a girl.

Love the blonde curls! I was secretly hoping DS would have curly hair, but no such luck. At least he has gorgeous hair (when it's short it doesn't show it's true beauty...when it's long it's so soft and thick)