Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   should I dump today's milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486801)

1healthylady 01-29-2013 07:59 PM

should I dump today's milk?

DS has a known egg sensitivity/allergy. I made an old fashioned banana cream pie Sunday night and had a few bites. I figured the egg was 'diluted' enough in the pie to enjoy a little and I couldn't resist that warm custard. Bad mistake. Yesterday she got a few spots of rash on her head, chest and back. You wouldn't have known if you didn't know what it was. Today she's been pooping but its been more pasty and it's taken up 4 diapers. Tonight's last poop had her screaming, her butt was bright red and had tiny little blisters. I feel terrible.

So should I just dump all the milk I pumped today and give her frozen tomorrow? I know it can take weeks for all the egg proteins to get out of my system but should I give her a couple days when her daytime milk isn't laced with the egg? Is there any way to speed up the process of getting the egg out of my milk? WWYD?

From the phone.

teacherpippi 01-29-2013 09:02 PM

Re: should I dump today's milk?

I wouldn't dump it yet.

Freeze and label with the allergens. If you find she can tolerate it 6 months from now, you can still use the milk. If not, then you can dump it when it expires.

nursenmom 01-29-2013 09:10 PM

:hugs: I don't really have any advice, just hugs because I know exactly how you feel. Both my dd's had sensitivities like this to dairy, eggs, and soy with the EXACT same reactions. It would always feel so guilty when I would slip up by accident or because I would convince myself it may be okay. I would maybe freeze the milk like the pp said labeled with the allergen and give her some frozen just to dilute the proteins she is exposed to a little bit.

Mom2jandb 01-29-2013 10:39 PM

:hugs: my LO is the same so I can sympathize. My instinct is to dump it... How badly do you need it? From my own experience, I think after 1 or 2 days your milk should be fine.

1healthylady 01-30-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I feel like a terrible mom. I didn't change her immediately because I was putting the finishing touches on an article. Less than 5 mins later, she was screaming, writhing in pain until I got her all cleaned up and diaper cream on. And I did that to her. :cry:

I hadn't thought of freezing and just listing the allergens. Thanks. I sent frozen milk today plus one bottle of fresh that I just pumped this morning. And asked that they change her even more often (they already change her at least every 2 hours) to avoid getting yeast - again. We JUST got rid of the yeast.

Tris 01-30-2013 08:10 AM

How long are egg proteins in your body? One pump and dump is probably not enough, it's not like alcohol which metabolizes out of the blood.
Reading fail, I see you mentioned that. I like the label with allergens and use your frozen stash idea.

tibeca 01-30-2013 03:10 PM

With a true egg allergy, a dosage of benadryl, zyrtec or claritin (depending on your doctor's recommendations) will minimize the damage. Having 3 kids with food allergies and tandem nursing, there was no way I could guarantee that every minute of everyday I would be avoiding all of our allergens (our list is over 30 items long). All it would take is 1 day where I ate out, and we would need something for at least 1 of them. My doctor recommended giving an antihistamine so baby wouldn't be miserable. I generally start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage, giving 1/4 more (up to 4 dosages total) every 30 minutes until the full on screaming stopped. Usually only a day or two of dosing was necessary.

beccak 02-03-2013 09:23 PM

All of my boys are this way with dairy and eggs, it is so hard. I say pupm and label contaminated. Eventually baby should be able to handle it.

momof3boys1girl 02-05-2013 11:10 PM

im sorry mama :( Maybe you could donate it to a local mom in need? If it enough for that of course