Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When does the weightloss kick in? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486807)

PurpleDaffodil 01-29-2013 08:11 PM

When does the weightloss kick in?

So one of the many reasons I chose to breastfeed was the added bonus of the weightloss, but I'm almost 5 months out and I haven't shed a pound since the day after DS was born. Instead I'm ravishing all the time and constantly hungry and thirsty. Am I just one of the un-lucky ones who never losses weight? I also pump 1x extra day to donate to a little girl at church, and this hasn't helped with anything either. :banghead:

Mom2jandb 01-29-2013 08:59 PM

For me (first baby) I didn't start really losing weight until the crazy hunger went away and I could cut back a little on calories. It was two years before I lost it all (nursing the whole time) but I had gained 50lbs during pregnancy.

I've had some surprisingly good weight loss results lately (nursing baby 2) with eating lots of good fats. I mean a LOT, like gobs of olive oil, an avocado a day, and a jar or two of sunbutter a week. I totally expected to gain, and it melted right off, like 20lbs.

ss456 01-30-2013 08:44 AM

Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

No advice here, I'm dealing with the same issues! I (oops!) gained 40 lbs during pregnancy. After DS was born, I was instantly down 20lbs. However, the other 20 lbs aren't budging! I have the same problems though. I am constantly starving!

l_Kimmie_l 01-30-2013 09:15 AM

I do not lose from BFing. In fact I gain if I give into the desire to eat. I have to diet to lose any of the weight.

Spunkify 01-30-2013 09:36 AM

I lost all my pregnancy weight with B right away and continued to lose more for months after. After K was born I plateaued after the initial "Baby is here!" weight loss until about the time my hair started falling out. It was similar to that after Noah was born.

I gained around 17lbs (due to extreme m/s) with B and he came out over 7lbs, and about 30 with K and N. I gained 40lbs (thanks to pre-e) with R, and about 30 with A. I don't remember my weight loss with them. I seem to make it back around to PP weight eventually so I tried not too worry about it.

Plus, really if you're eating as many calories as you need, you really shouldn't have weight melt right off of you. Part of my issue with B was my [over active] thyroid. Even if you don't have thyroid issues before birth you can have them in the PP period. When they finally figured out what it was I was right inside normal and they refused to treat me because of the side effects. Instead I really had to supplement my caloric intake.

Make sure you're eating healthy, lots of protein (which will help to sustain you) and give it until 9 months. For me the "9 months up, 9 months down" was true.

MakingHome 01-30-2013 09:37 AM

I've had and nursed 5 babies so far (37wks preg with #6), all past a year, and I never lose weight until we wean and/or I get pregnant with the next baby (I'll often continue losing weight until I'm about 18-22 weeks preg with the next baby). I have found a lot of women whose bodies operate the same way. I think it's a gross overstatement to claim as many people do "oh the weight will just melt off!" Bc that just doesn't hold true for a lot of women.

omahonycm 01-30-2013 09:43 AM

I don't lose either. I have to wait until after I wean. It's just the way the cards fall, I guess.

mozartswannabe 01-30-2013 02:16 PM

We are in the same boat and it's depressing! I'm 4 months postpartum and nothing I do helps. I drink nothing but water and green tea and eat very healthy, but I'm ALWAYS hungry and just get hungrier when I work out! I stated working out 10 weeks postpartum because of a rough c/s recovery and haven't lost an ounce! My SIL didn't lose weight until after weaning which sucks bc I feel awful about my body, hate shopping and hate looking in the mirror now but bfing is important to me and I would like to continue until about 18 months. I would even be happy with a slow weight loss from working out, but I've got nothing!

MakingHome 01-30-2013 04:40 PM

I honestly don't worry about it anymore. It will come off eventually but having a strong milk supply and a content well fed baby is WAYYYYYY more important than me getting back in my jeans, or even looking "good". It'll happen eventually; newbornyness is just a season, but if I lose my milk supply, I can't "redo" that at any other time, KWIM?

Kätzchen 01-30-2013 04:57 PM

Weight gain and weight loss are about calories in and calories out. It's not genetics, it's not anything else. I recommend actually counting all of your calories, carbs, sugars, and proteins for a single, average day, just for some perspective.

I also recommend eating less, as in as close to zero sugars, more fiber, and a lot more protein.

Weight loss is 90%diet, 10%exercise. Pay attention to exactly what you're eating.