Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Beware of Babyland & other "China" eBay nappies (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486822)

kinderreruns 01-29-2013 08:49 PM

Beware of Babyland & other "China" eBay nappies

Beware of “Baby Land” nappies on eBay. I have been diapering for 20 years. Yes, we are crazy. We have seven children from 20 years to 5 months. Way back 20 years ago cloth diapering was for us "freaks". You would have to search and I mean SEARCH on-line for good nappies or get then from diaper service company that sold the overstock, seconds or used. WAHMs made the best doubles. Biobottoms & Nikki made the best wool and cotton wraps. Aristocrats were on the market and cost about the same as they do now. But are "oh so worth it" with a heavy wetter sensitive skin baby. ECOBABY sold nappies & organic babyclothes not just matresses and furniture. Kushies & Bumkins were basically the only AIO with Mother Ease opening within my first few years changing diapers.

Getting into the new modern movement with baby #6 (have a gap of years between the youngest two), I decided along with my Osocozy pre-folds I would try a few pockets like Fuzzibunz and Kawaii . I am now considering Thirties and Smartipants. In this quest to try a few different pockets I took the risk & purchased one of those “to good to be true” cheap nappies direct from China since many of the nappies (like Kawaii & some Fuzzibunz) are now made in China anyway.

Yep! They are priced “too good to be true” for the “thick inserts” 3 pack I ordered for $2.75 were small and only two layers thick. The Babyland pocket diaper I ordered for another $2.75 was so small fully extended it is smaller than a Medium Fuzzibunz. In addition the water barrio looks like Clingwrap sewn between the fleece pocket and the outside cover. No, it does not melt on when you wash or dry it with heat. So for $5.50 learned the diaper world is the same as many other. First it is “hit or miss” with items made in China. Second, a good WAHM will have far better quality than many big brands. Third, I hate micro fleece and still love Hemp, wool and cotton. Fourth, I am back to SEARCHING the web for the best nappies on the market. I just recently purchased some “Luke’s Drawers” from eBay….what a nice blast from the past and great quality made in the USA WAHM night nappy. I needed an old time fix in this new market of many choices and many levels of quality diapers. If you are new to diapering my advice would be try a few of many brands (thin & chucky babies need different nappies or folds) and have a small stash of prefolds with wraps for sstability. Good used diapers are great for you do not have to extend big bucks when trying styles. You can buy new additional ones after you find what works for you. One last thing, good brand "second" like Osocozy are awsome! I can not tell you what pre-folds are the second I paid $15 a doz or the 1st I paid almost double for....better than used! Good luck on your quest for you best nappy system!

Namiko 01-29-2013 08:57 PM

Re: Beware of Babyland & other "China" eBay nappies

I also looked at the ebay cheap selection of diapers from China but I'm kinda reluctant to buy stuff like that particularly from ebay. Glad I didn't actually buy anything there. I would say that I'm partial to Alva pockets though because I like having a nice selection of colors and patterns on my baby without breaking the budget. I usually get mine through hyenacart though. I've looked into some more expensive brands and once we get some more money, maybe on our second child, I might try them out.

MomBecks 01-29-2013 09:01 PM

I hear ya! We've been cloth diapering for 12 years with 5 kids and things have changed SO much! I just heard from a Mama who bought a whole set of China cheapies and they're all falling apart :( Such a bummer because so many buy them out of necessity and when they fall apart don't have the funds to purchase a whole new set. And I totally agree about keeping a stash of prefolds around. It's nice to have some convenience diapers, but I have always kept prefolds as back-up at least.

OctBaby 01-29-2013 09:12 PM

I have babyland 5 layer charcoal bamboo inserts and love them... So I guess don't be too quick to judge all their products

Also just a suggestion, see if you can find a coop to order from. I'm a member of one and love the prices, you can get great deals...and you're not taking quite the risk, usually the coop will have personal reviews of the diapers being purchased

Fishie Kisses 01-29-2013 09:16 PM

Babylands were my absolute favorites for a very long time and lasted from birth to PL for DS2. Maybe they've changed? You have to go into those types of things with lower expectations. You can't expect to get BumGenius quality for only a couple $ per diaper.

Raspberry Kisses 01-29-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctBaby (Post 16223754)
I have babyland 5 layer charcoal bamboo inserts and love them... So I guess don't be too quick to judge all their products

Also just a suggestion, see if you can find a coop to order from. I'm a member of one and love the prices, you can get great deals...and you're not taking quite the risk, usually the coop will have personal reviews of the diapers being purchased

You live in Dallas and are a member of a Co-op? Could you PM me and tell me more? I live in Plano...

bluemoonbutterfly 01-29-2013 09:26 PM

The majority of my diapers are Sunbaby(cheap China diapers). Two of my Sunbaby diapers are around 3 years old(bought them used on here and I am currently using them on my son). He is the second child I have used them with. The elastic is still good, PUL is still intact, and all the snaps still function. I gifted 12 to a friend and I have 16 I am currently using. The ones I have and they ones my friend has are all in good working order. I only have one that has lost a snap. I have snaps, so I can replace it myself. Although if I wanted to I could contact the seller and she would send me a replacement.

boysniris 01-29-2013 09:33 PM

I couldn't agree more with OP. The quality of WAHM diapers -- and I'm talking reputable, established WAHMs -- is superior. There is just no way the quality of an inexpensive import could compare. I remember when Nubunz were being talked about a lot...supposedly made in the USA. Whether or not they are, the quality was lower than the very similar, possibly "inspiration" pocket, BG 3.0. How else were they going to be as inexpensive as they are?

kinderreruns 01-29-2013 09:52 PM

Co-ops for diapers...interesting. How do you find these? We recently PCS to San Antonio so I do not know the "ins and outs" of the area we currently live in.

Fishie Kisses 01-29-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raspberry Kisses (Post 16223783)
You live in Dallas and are a member of a Co-op? Could you PM me and tell me more? I live in Plano...

most co-ops are online

and a side note, DS1 was born at Medical Center of Plano :)