Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone elses baby/toddler allergic to amoxicllin? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487111)

katymf 01-30-2013 06:05 PM

Anyone elses baby/toddler allergic to amoxicllin?

Poor DS was on amoxicillin to fight an ear infection last week. Well, apparantly he is allergic to it and started breaking out in a rash last night and then this morning a bit more noticeable and throughout the day has spread and gotten worse. Brought him to his pedictrician earlier this morning and she said there was nothing to do about it it will go away on its own in a few days, obviously stop using the amoxicillin. We havn't given him any since last night around 7 (before we noticed the rash) He is acting fine, like his normal self, but it just kills me to see him with this nasty, red, spotty rash over his entire body!!!! :yuck:
Has anyone elses' kids had this reaction? How long did it take to go away? We can give him benadryl if it is seems like it's bothering him, but so far it hasnt.

loki 01-30-2013 06:38 PM

Re: Anyone elses baby/toddler allergic to amoxicllin?

My son had a reaction when he was 4 it took a few days too go away.

dorajoan 01-30-2013 06:40 PM

My dd just had this - I took her to the dr too. Her rash wasn't super terrible, but it was spreading. I stopped it after her morning dose and by the following evening it was gone! The dr didn't seem too concerned - don't worry!

luvsviola 01-30-2013 06:44 PM

My oldest is. Broke out in a rash halfway through a course, but it wasn't her first time on it. Took a couple weeks to completely go away, even on Benadryl.

lilg82882 01-30-2013 06:47 PM

My oldest had it several times before but when she was two and a half she broke out on it. It took a day or two to clear up.

She is now 7 and we have avoided taking it for anything since. She had an ear infection a few months back and doctor prescribed her a "relative" of amoxicillian and age was fine!

lemurmommies 01-30-2013 07:45 PM

When my son has his reaction, it took about a week of steady Benadryl to get it to go away. It was NO fun. :(

HeatherlovesCDs 01-30-2013 08:05 PM

My 3 oldest are all allergic. It's a pain because it is free at the pharmacy we go to, but the ones they need cost us $20. Anyway, yes, it's not fun to see them covered in a rash or hives (which is what mine got).

KLeeCW 01-30-2013 08:16 PM

I am allergic to it. When I was delivering DS, I contracted a pretty nasty bug from being in the hospital. The nurse "misread" my chart and gave me a dose of it. So, delivering a baby and covered in an awful rash. She was super apologetic but I was ticked. Mine can take up to two weeks to go away, until its out of my system. Oatmeal baths are soothing to the rash. I don't take benadryl personally, but it would probably be helpful to ease the rash. Hopefully your little one's rash clears up soon!

craigwick 01-30-2013 08:17 PM

My youngest is allergic, she had it prescribed when she was quite tiny and got hives/rash that took a few days to go away with benadryl. The only other abx she has ever taken is biaxin, it works for her (rarely needs it since her tonsillectomy anyways) so the Dr. always just prescribes that.

somo_chickenlady 01-30-2013 08:20 PM

My DS and I are both is allergic to all meds in the penicillin family, DS much more than I am. The rash usually goes away in about 24-48 hours.