Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is this an ammonia issue? Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487146)

akstien86 01-30-2013 08:11 PM

Is this an ammonia issue? Help!

Hi All. I am a newbie and have only been cding part time to get the hang of it, and until I finish my stash. I bought a few 'like new' diapers on diaperswappers, and a few new. Washed in rockin green and air dryed, they all smelled pretty good but a few have a lingering smell in the background. Specifically one like new (and it really does look like new) Bg 4.0 and some used babykicks hemp inserts.

Well the problem is after using that like new diaper/and or the hemp inserts I can barely walk in the room the smell is so bad. I was worried that's just how diapers smelled after 12 hours, but when I used a new bg and inserts there is no smell.

So long story short I re-washed (hemp seperate) in rocking green, hot water, pre rinse and extra rinse, and added vinegar to the hemp. Crossed my fingers that would work, but the same strong smell after using. Any ideas? thanks so much.

greencrunchymama 01-30-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Is this an ammonia issue? Help!

I'd use a stronger detergent and bleach them. After that, continue to use your new detergent. You can try Tide or Country Save-lots of mamas like those!

nonipie 01-30-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrunchymama (Post 16227755)
I'd use a stronger detergent and bleach them. After that, continue to use your new detergent. You can try Tide or Country Save-lots of mamas like those!

Yes this

Skybaby712 01-30-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrunchymama (Post 16227755)

Yes to this. I've read how lots have issues with Rockin Green.

akstien86 01-31-2013 05:31 AM

Interesting, and I thought rockin green was a good choice!! Ok, will try some bleach and a new detergent! thank you!

akstien86 01-31-2013 05:32 AM

Does anyone have good experience with charlies? or is tide and country save the overall choice? thanks again.

DottieHarley 01-31-2013 05:47 AM

We have had very good luck with Charlies, and lots of people do, but also just as many people seem to have problems. I think if you have moderately hard to very hard water you are probably better off NOT using Charlies. We have slightly hard water and I add 1/4 - 1/2 scoop of borax with the Charlies, and that seems to work well.
Also some LOs have rash issues I have heard.

akstien86 01-31-2013 06:01 AM

ooh thank you good to know. I have very hard water, that's why I went with the rockin green for hard water. back to the drawing board...lol

MrsJordan85 01-31-2013 06:10 AM

I would be leery of Charlies, myself and a lot of mamas I know have gotten burns (on baby's bum) from Charlies. I use original liquid tide, after trying almost EVERYTHING. I recommend doing a strip with a squirt of blue dawn as well. Many detergents don't get along and if you switch from one to the other without stripping the diapers you can cause a chemical reaction. Also I use bleach about once every 2 weeks on my diapers to keep stink & ammonia away. I have been doing this for 2 years now without an issue. I use about 1/4 of a cup of regular clorox in with the normal wash.

akstien86 01-31-2013 06:25 AM

Wonderful tips, thank you. That makes sense about switching to a different detergent not mixing with the first. Ok so I will try stripping and also adding bleach. And it sounds like no charlies! thank you thank you everyone!