Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   After 3 months...ready to give up... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487183)

workingdiaperingmom 01-30-2013 11:43 PM

After 3 months...ready to give up...

Tonight may have been the last straw for cloth diapering.

I started out with cloth diaper trials when my son was 1 month old, and found out what I did and did not like.
Like: snaps, stay dry, AIOs
Dislikes: aplix, unstuffing pockets after poops, horrible at folding prefolds with snappis

I bought a bunch of diapers that I thought would work for us based on that trial, and found out:
Dislike: microfiber soakers, single row of snaps, rise snaps that come undone

I also discovered stuff about my baby:
Big thighs, big belly, short rise, no butt, no waist, and reflux!

The reflux has become a big deal. He can no longer wear diapers with a double row of snaps because the stiffness aggravates his reflux when he sits up. The rise has to be ultra low, and preferably elastic in the front. He never spits up in disposables...always spits up in cloth.

With the help of this forum, I decided to purchase some green acre design, applecheeks, amp diapers, and also some bamboo soakers. Well, I received the GADs, prepped them, and for some reason or another, pee started dripping from his legs. Maybe I put them on wrong? Maybe he became a super soaker all of a sudden? And so I put on another diaper on him (one with double row of snaps and no elastic in the waist, set on the lowest rise), and he subsequently upchucked his meal onto his 4th outfit of the day. So that was the last straw...

I've learned a lot through this journey, but I am about to give up. I have a package of bamboo inserts/prefolds/flats and applecheeks and amps on the way. If those aren't perfect, I am going to try to sell everything and recoup as much as I can. I feel like I wasted a lot of time and money...as my son happily resides in his disposables...sigh....

Dearest Diapers 01-30-2013 11:58 PM

Re: After 3 months...ready to give up...

Yikes I can feel your frustration. I truly think you will like your applecheeks. I hope you get them asap so you see how nice and soft they are. Take big breather, tomorrow is a new day :)

willowmom 01-31-2013 12:03 AM

...out of curiosity, how old is your son? Reflux is outgrown after not too long...maybe try after the reflux gets better if these new dipes do not satisfy? I don't know about the brand that you tried that leaked, but some diapers just work well for one baby and not another, it is sometimes a little trial and error to see what works. I will be hoping for you that you find a fit for your LO so you don't give up! Good luck!

abunchoflemons 01-31-2013 12:50 AM

Yea,I agree with the other person that the reflux really should only last a little bit... how old is baby now? Are you sure baby doesn't have a sensitivity to something you eat if you are breastfeeding or the type of formula you are feeding if on formula?

meljc 01-31-2013 06:07 AM

No promises that reflux won't last a while :-( My son was on Zantac until around 9 months :-( But I didn't find that the diaper made a lick of difference as long as it wasn't overly tight. Our natural fiber diapers (like bge and grovia) absorbed just fine even if the were a little looser as long as DS was "pointed south."

sending you hugs, I know how frustrating reflux can be. Now at 15 months it feels like a bygone era, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

MrsJordan85 01-31-2013 06:42 AM

It's okay to take a break from cloth until the refulx settles down if that's what you want to do. I was hard core cloth with my first 2, but with DS2 things got crazy. I was so stressed and took a break. I bought a big box of sposies from Sams and used those for awhile. I took about a month off, then came back to cloth. At the beginning of my cloth break, I actually considered selling all of it and quitting forever but I'm glad I didn't.

On a different note, Applecheeks are soft. You might like them. I also like Flips (I know you said AIO) but work well on my chunky boy :) Hang in there mama and do what you need to for your sweet baby.

nonipie 01-31-2013 06:54 AM

I'm sorry mama! I will say that we have the same issues with my youngest. He too has reflux and will upchuck if anything is pressing on his jelly belly. This is my 3rd CD baby though so I knew what might work and what I was willing to try. We have had amazing success with ME Sandy's and pinned prefolds/flats all under wool or Dappi covers. Basically anything with front snaps is usually out.

Melinda29 01-31-2013 07:33 AM

My daughter had reflux until she was 22 months.

AMP and Applecheeks are very low rise and soft in front. My YDD is also very chubby and large thighed, and they worked well. The Fancy Pansy is another very very soft, very low rise snap front cover. The fit is almost identical to AMP but thinner as they are just PUL, no lining.

boysniris 01-31-2013 07:52 AM

:hugs: You can get a VERY gentle fit around the waist if you use a closure-free fitted, but you'll still have great containment around the legs. Pinning a closure-free fitted is simple compared to pinning a PF or a flat :giggle: Then a wool or fleece soaker will be the most gentle cover for his waist.

mothergooseofthree 01-31-2013 09:17 AM

Try washing your GADs to strip anything that might have been used in production that is causing it to repel. You can also use the shell as a cover and lay your insert on the fleece. I never had leaks when I used GADs. What did you stuff it with?

Is cloth important to you? If so, I think you can work with some of the things you have to find a solution. If they don't work, I am going to second the momma that suggested Sandys and a pull-on cover. Sandys are awesome diapers with nice stretchy elastic all around and fit almost like underwear. With a wool soaker, ME Airflow, or Prorap Side Snap they are bulletproof.

ETA: I am sorry that you are frustrated. I had one ds just like you mention: hard to fit, needed low rise, no pressure on tummy, and refluxed. He did outgrow it, but not while in diapers. It will get better though.