Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastmilk in a sippy cup? Any success mamas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487271)

Liaklong 01-31-2013 09:32 AM

Breastmilk in a sippy cup? Any success mamas?

My son is 12M and I'm hoping to breastfeed him until he is at least 18M. I'm heading back to nursing school full-time after that, so I'll see how it goes. I pump very infrequently now, but when I need to for class I don't want to put it in a bottle (he wouldn't take it from a bottle anyway). I've been trying sippy cups w/my milk, but he's not having it. He'll drink water from a sippy, but not breastmilk. :headscratch: This makes it hard when my dh needs to put him to sleep when I'm at school late. Anyone have success w/this? Any specific kind of sippy you liked best?

Liaklong 01-31-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Breastmilk in a sippy cup? Any success mamas?

Any mamas deal w/similar troubles w/your LOs? Would love some feedback ;)

He would take a bottle of pumped milk when I was gone up until 10 or 11months. Then I think he became aware of the fact that he could refuse the bottle and would eventually get mommy. I want him to get breastmilk as long as possible, so I'd like to start transitioning him now, so when I do go back to school full-time he will be comfortable with getting breastmilk in a sippy during the day and nursing at night. I don't want to do cows milk yet & I don't want to lose my milk supply either :( Any suggestions are welcomed.

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 08:39 PM

Have you tried several types of sippies? Or other people? He may simply be unwilling to take it from you?

FWIW, the soft Nuk sippies (practically bottles, but nipples shaped differently) were the first things I was able to get DD to actually 'drink' from. The other things, she would literally 'sip'. Then straw cups worked next.

Liaklong 01-31-2013 09:05 PM

Yep, tried those & no luck :( Those were the first one my dd would use, but my ds does best right now w/ the take & toss sippys & he is just getting into the straw cups (w/water). It's always dh or mil trying to give it to him. I try sometimes during the day, but he refuses all of us! I got home from school tonight & he was so distraught when I came in. He wouldn't eat for dh & stayed up until 9:45 when I got home. Dh tried to get him to sleep earlier, but was unsuccessful. Plus he had to help my dd to bed. I hope ds will adjust, but he's really having separation anxiety now & protesting anything but me. IDK what to do!

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 09:20 PM

He's 12months, have you tried cow's milk?

The idea being that if he will take it, then you could start mixing half and half and then 25/75 and hopefully 100% BM eventually?

I mean, it might be a long shot... But something like that might work.

Liaklong 01-31-2013 09:40 PM

:) I have tried. He spits it out big time! OMGosh, I though he was trying to go for some kind of distance record! Lol :-D. The closest I've gotten to him drinking is pumping & giving it directly to him warm. I may start trying to do that more often, but when it's just me at home I just want to nurse him & enjoy that cuddle time. Plus, it's tough to pump & chase after a 3yo & a 1yo :)

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 09:57 PM

Good luck - maybe others will have more things to try :)

neuro_mom 01-31-2013 10:09 PM

Re: Breastmilk in a sippy cup? Any success mamas?

Bump for suggestions? I'm having the same problem.

Liaklong 02-01-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Good luck - maybe others will have more things to try :)

Thanks for your feedback!!! I really appreciate it :-D. Hopefully we will figure something out soon!

Liaklong 02-02-2013 07:01 PM

Any additional suggestions mamas?