Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Diapers- "Must-Haves" and "Stay-Away" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487694)

MamaBarton 02-01-2013 12:07 PM

Diapers- "Must-Haves" and "Stay-Away"

What diapers are "Must-Haves" and what ones are a waste of money? like I know I personally dont like monkey doodles or g diapers. and I like the bumpkin covers and the Bumgenious dipes I have.... What does everyone else like or not like? Us new mamas need help! we only have one CD store in my area (an hour away) so I cant even really go and look at them to get an idea of what to search for!

bqmomma 02-01-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Diapers- "Must-Haves" and "Stay-Away"

I've been CDing for 1 1/2 years and my favorites are Flip, Thirsties, and Bummis covers; GMD and Osocozy prefolds; WCW wool. I'm in the process of trying different fitted dipes, too. I've ordered Goodmamas and Sbish as well as some WAHMs. I did not like the GMD workhorses, but others love them. I also ended up getting rid of all of our pocket dipes.

EmilytheStrange 02-01-2013 12:44 PM

I do not like FuzziBuns or GroVia diapers with my DD.
but... baby star might be shaped differently, so I've kept them around.

We have no cloth stores in my area - I buy everything online :)

I like my Flips and my BumGenius the most. I bought Thirsties covers for the newborn, based on their reputation, but no prior experience. I have a bummis cover for DD. I like Rumparooz, but they're small and don't last quite a long. They can start smaller, though.

MrsCrafty 02-01-2013 12:50 PM

Well I loved the BG AIOs, the old sized ones they don't sell anymore. So I have a variety of XS and S I've gotten from FSOT, and then we'll go to OS. I also really liked Blueberry, but I haven't CD'ed in 4 years since my LO's are PL'ed so I'm sure a lot has changed with newer brands!
Another thing would be, when I first started I hunted around for cheap diapers, and ended up with a lot of leaky diapers. There are good WAHM diapers, and there are bad ones. Just started out I'd try to stick to better known brands/WAHMs that have reviews. It can be frustrating enough in the beginning, without adding that maybe the diapers you have just aren't good.
If I hadn't CD'ed before I'd probably get one of those variety/starter packs that has a few different brands. Gives you a chance to really try things. :goodvibes:

mibarra 02-01-2013 12:56 PM

Haven't done a newborn yet, but for my OS stash:

MUST have Grovia with stay dry soakers. Bamboo Sandy's for nighttime with wool.

I stay away from:
Pockets, I HATE HATE HATE stuffing
Microfiber, hate it too.
fitteds and AIOs for daytime. Too confusing for my other caregivers and take forever to dry to the AIOs. :)

dagmomma 02-01-2013 01:10 PM

I HATE Fuzzi Buns!! With a passion lol!

I Love

AIO-Swaddlebess OS
Pocket-BG 4.0
Covers-Flip, econobum, thirsties (for the nb and sm stage) and NB bummis.
Fitteds--I only really like them for nb stage but I like sbish xs, any wahms really, and I like Clovers for older.
Wool-can't use but I love sbish
And I LOVE PFS and flats--gmd but I just got some diaper rites that are coming.

karlitacat 02-01-2013 01:17 PM

Every mama has her own preference! For instance, I don't like AIOs/pockets because even if it's a bit wet you have to change and wash the whole thing - but lots of other people like it for the convenience factor since it's more like a traditional diaper. I like the cover/insert method (though I didn't like gdipes) - it just seems so much simpler and you can use a variety of things for inserts, even homemade stuff.

I haven't been crazy about microfiber, either, though some of my inserts are made from that material. This time around I'm excited to try wool covers/longies, which is a natural fiber that blocks moisture. My old standbys are flip and blueberry covers.

nw2bargaining 02-01-2013 01:19 PM

I absolutely love my thirstie AIO, thirstie covers and econobum prefolds. I will use any brand of prefold though. I recently purchased a few fitteds (thirsties) and swaddlebees covers. I hope I love those too!

Dislikes:(
Any pocket dipes
Gdiapers

RunawayBunny 02-01-2013 02:33 PM

I stay away from things that are hard to wash or dry (exception being wool) and g-diapers. So no AIO/2s or microfiber. Gdiapers are the most adorable diaper ever, but they are too picky for me (too hard to put on, wear out easy).

I love flats (osocozy and little lions) and thirsties hemp prefolds for the diaper part. Nikky (poly or cotton) and Tiny Bird Organics wool wraps for covers.

My stash has thirsties covers, GMD workhorses, and fuzzibunz pockets, but those are not my favorites. They work and I dont have funds to sell and re-buy.

Fun thread! I like to see the variety even though I bet its unhelpful for newbies. :)

steph410 02-01-2013 04:58 PM

I'm only really doing cotton prefolds with wool or PUL covers. and a few fitteds, maybe a few bamboo prefolds.

the only thing I want to stay away from is a lot of expensive fitteds, but they are so cute!