Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487749)

IsaacsMom2009 02-01-2013 01:35 PM

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ok, who's got a recipe for the perfect chocolate chip cookie? Chewy and soft and moist, not lofty in the middle or crispy on the edges...

I'm looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookie in the following categories:

* Standard (no dietary restrictions)

* Gluten Free

* Vegan

If you've tried a recipe, and you believe it fits the bill, let me know. I'm going to be making these and posting pics and reviews. I'll even try to do something nice for the winner(s) of each category. Post your recipe, and which category it fits in. I'll try baking them this weekend if I get enough recipes posted.

Ready...Set...GO!!!!!!!!

slimy72 02-01-2013 02:32 PM

Re: The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

I have an awesome one I developed for gluten free cookies on my blog. Let me go grab it.

Here ya go:
The best Chocolate chip cookies ever!
I've been working on this recipe for a while now. It's pretty good. Good enough that last week I made it for Justen and a batch of Tollhouse for Garrison and I. I ended up eating Justen's cookies because they were better than mine. Half the trick is in the freezing of the dough. Although they do work when fresh baked, they just turn out so much chewier when baked half frozen.

3/4 c. butter (I have used a mix of butter and margerine but we all know butter tastes so much better.
1 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 t. GF Vanilla
1/4 c. egg substitute or 1 large egg (done it both ways both work fine)
2 1/4 c. GF Mix (again Bette Hagman's recipe-see above recipe for proportions)
1 1/2 t. xantham gum
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt (scant)
8-12 oz. Chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375degrees F.
Prepare a greased baking sheet (I have forgotten to do this and it does work without just sometimes you mangle the cookies getting them off)
In a medium bowl, cream butter adn sugar. Gradually add egg adn vanulla while mixing. Sift together gluten free flour mix, baking soda, powder and salt. Stur into butter mix until blended. Then stir in chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop (looks like a tiny ice cream scoop) drop cookies 2 inches apart on prepared sheet. Then flatten slightly because they don't spread like gluten cookies. You will know if you forget to flatten them because you will have odd little dough cakes instead of flat, yummy, chewy cookies. Can do it with a teaspoon they just didn't turn out as thick and chewy.

Bake in preheated oven 6-8 min. or until just starting to brown. For chewier cookies, smack pan on counter when it comes out of the oven. Let cookies cool on the sheet for 2 min. until moving them to cooling racks.

Now the freezer part: I always make a huge batch and freeze so Justen can bake his own cookies whenever he wants. So I started scooping them out with the cookie baller thingy, really close together on a cookie sheet and then freezing. After a day I move them into a zip lock and he bakes as needed. As a side note, they are awesome frozen unbaked! To bake from frozen, put them on prepared sheet and let thaw about 20 min. (this time has been here in the winter so I'm sure it would be different if it were summer). You want them to be just thawed enough that you can smoosh them down a bit but they aren't all the way thawed. Then bake the 6-8 min (we prefer them slightly under done). They are awesome! We baked two batches side by side one night to see if the frozen ones really were better than the fresh ones, and for some reason they are.

slimy72 02-01-2013 02:33 PM

And this is the GF flour mix I used. (Bette Hagman's mix- 6c. rice flour, 2c. potato starch flour (not potato flour), 1 c. tapioca starch)

IsaacsMom2009 02-01-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks slimy!!!! I'll have to get some ingredients to try that one, but I anticipated that happening with the gluten free/vegan categories :thumbsup:

slimy72 02-01-2013 02:51 PM

And technically the recipe can be vegan with DF margerine, Vegan Chocolate Chips, and egg replacer. I however, prefer it with real butter.

rumblepurr 02-01-2013 03:13 PM

This is ours :D
Standard Chocolate Chip recipe:

2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp real vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups kirkland semi-sweet chocolate chips or ghirardelli (Kirkland is the knock off brand)

Bake for 11 min @ 375.
Soften the butter, but do not melt. Cream with sugar and add well whisked eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix well 2 cups of flour with baking soda and salt. Add flour mix to batter. Add some of the left over flour to the chocolate chips and add the chips to the dough. Mix in the rest of the flour as needed to make a pretty stiff dough. Refrigerate overnight - this is the minimum for fridge time 3 days is prime. Roll into balls, and place on cookie sheet. Do not flatten. Replace left over dough back in fridge until next batch.

Can't beat these!

rumblepurr 02-01-2013 03:13 PM

DP!

lakemom 02-01-2013 03:31 PM

I use the toll house cookie recipe but double the dough recipe and use 2 c. (instead of 4 cups) of mini chocolate chips. Use real butter NOT margarine.

Spunkify 02-01-2013 04:29 PM

We made some really good cookies the other day following the recipe on the back of the Hershey's chocolate chips bag.

IsaacsMom2009 02-01-2013 04:35 PM

The toll house cookie recipe never works for me. I do the same thing every time and every time they come out some different version of awful. I don't know why.