Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Blackstrap Molasses (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487829)

marenmccoy 02-01-2013 05:20 PM

Blackstrap Molasses

I'm looking for ideas on how to incorporate some blackstrap molasses into our diets since it is a great source of iron and calcium.

Anyone have good advice on how to do this beyond the usual baked beans and gingerbread? I thought maybe I could add some to smoothies but we don't make those too often this time of year.

Anyone sweeten oatmeal with it? How much do you use?

Other ideas?

Thanks!

danielle 02-01-2013 08:14 PM

As you may know, molasses is one of the two key ingredients in brown sugar. My new, wonderful granola bar recipe calls for brown sugar. Instead I use white sugar and add in double the needed amount of molasses for brown, adding some extra goodness with the molasses.

danimoo43 02-01-2013 09:54 PM

Re: Blackstrap Molasses

Use it as you would any sweetener. Try diluting it with some water and using it on pancakes. Use it in the pancakes. Just pay attention to the consistency of the batter and you'll be fine.

happyhats 02-01-2013 10:09 PM

I haven't started experimenting with it too much yet, as the taste is so strong. I have been taking a coupletsp a day though.

aylasmommy 02-01-2013 10:40 PM

Keep in mind that not all molasses is created equal. The only brand I will buy is Grandma's with the yellow lid. I have tried others and the taste is just awful.

That being said, I use it in coffee, oatmeal, and plain most often.

marenmccoy 02-02-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aylasmommy (Post 16237366)
Keep in mind that not all molasses is created equal. The only brand I will buy is Grandma's with the yellow lid. I have tried others and the taste is just awful.

That being said, I use it in coffee, oatmeal, and plain most often.

I thought it had to be blackstrap to really be packed with the iron and calcium, though? :headscratch:

aylasmommy 02-02-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marenmccoy

I thought it had to be blackstrap to really be packed with the iron and calcium, though? :headscratch:

That is true. The yellow lid is blackstrap.

qsefthuko 02-02-2013 05:01 PM

I stopped buying brown sugar. I simply didn't use it often enough to keep it from turning hard as a rock. All the tips for softening it just didn't work as well as I would have liked. Now I just use mollasses and sugar. I add it to malt o meal and oatmeal. It can also be added to whole wheat bread in place of honey or even sugar(you will need to adjust for moisture if subbing for sugar). Since I drink my tea and coffee sans sweetener I haven't tried that yet.

happyhats 02-02-2013 06:19 PM

I do make my own brown sugar as well. The blackstrap I just bought has20 percent of iron and cakcium per tsp. Its defenitely worth adjusting my tastebuds. I take a shot glass with a glass of oj or or eating an orange because the vitamin c helpsbit absorb

MissyMia 02-03-2013 12:18 PM

I have some of this in my fridge, but can't seem to use it. I tried it straight up and it was awful. I don't mind regular molasses, so maybe I should just add it to recipes that call for regular molasses.

Does it taste really strong in oatmeal. That would be a great addition in the morning since I already try and have something vitamin C rich with my breakfast.