Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   easy lunch ideas for nursing moms? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488055)

e.e.peltz 02-02-2013 01:55 PM

easy lunch ideas for nursing moms?

Any recommendations for easy-to-prepare lunch options that you can eat while nursing/tending a toddler? I'm guessing I won't have the time or energy to put much together for lunches once my second baby arrives, but I want to make sure my toddler and I are still eating healthy lunches. Thanks!

d_arnold 02-02-2013 03:57 PM

Sandwiches with deli meat, cheese, avacado, etc.
Hummus and veggies
English muffin pizzas

2+2macht4 02-02-2013 04:02 PM

Re: easy lunch ideas for nursing moms?

I really like Couscous with Tazaski sauce. It only takes like 3 minutes for the fast cook kind. I shred on carrots or add diced cucumbers whatever I have on hand.

You could also premake salads.

e.e.peltz 02-02-2013 04:21 PM

ooo yum, those are good ideas - thanks, guys!

d_arnold 02-02-2013 07:54 PM

I have more!

Baked potato (bake in microwave) with whatever toppings you like.
Chicken or tuna salad

Fruit and veggie trays you can buy pre-made and snack on them for a few days.

Just make sure you eat a lot of good protein and fat.

tesslouise 02-08-2013 10:06 PM

Tuna macaroni salad, it's a Taste of Home recipe--should be on their website. I buy Wild Planet or Sustainable Seas tuna that's lower in mercury. The recipe makes two lunches, can be made ahead and eaten cold, and sticks to a fork well, so it's perfect. (I love green salads but I do tend to drop greens on the baby.)

mozartswannabe 02-13-2013 10:46 AM

One of my go-to's is peanut butter! PB and jelly or PB and banana with a little cinnamon! They're filling, packed with protein, easy eat/make and full of healthy fats! I am also on WIC so PB is something we have plenty of!

Marianna1988 02-15-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e.e.peltz
Any recommendations for easy-to-prepare lunch options that you can eat while nursing/tending a toddler? I'm guessing I won't have the time or energy to put much together for lunches once my second baby arrives, but I want to make sure my toddler and I are still eating healthy lunches. Thanks!

We do a lot of sandwiches or wraps (pb&j, tuna, lunchmeat; before going gluten free we'd also change up the type of bread/wrap so it wouldn't get boring, like onion rolls, kaiser rolls. Frenchbread), or "stuff on a plate." Lol. Really it's just random healthy foods from all food groups. One day it might be yogurt, carrots, apples, crackers, and nitrate/ite free lunch eat, another day it might be some leftover meat, grapes, celery, string cheese, and toast. We'll also do leftovers if we have any. Just depends on what we have and what I feel like. I only have one good cooking session per day in me, I save it for dinner ;)

2btwinmama 02-22-2013 11:08 AM

I try to always have leftovers in the house, but when all else fails I make a protein shake.

BigSamsMom 02-22-2013 11:44 AM

Just went through this Momma. DS2 is almost 11 weeks and DS1 is 3.5 years. Prior to delivering, I froze 30+ pre-cooked lunches/dinners, and a ton of pre-cooked English Muffin pizzas with different toppings for lunch. We also kept the fridge stocked with healthy grab and eat items - fresh veggies for dipping, homemade hummus, fruit, boiled eggs, pre-cooked bacon, tuna/salmon salad, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. In the pantry we had plenty of granola, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, soup, dry cereals. For breakfast, I pre-cooked steel cut oats in my crockpot and froze in muffin tins, popped them out and stored in ziploc bags in the freezer to be microwaved - oats are great for milk production, BTW! We also did a lot of smoothies for lunch and breakfast... I keep the freezer stashed with frozen berries, peaches, overripe bananas. HTH!