Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how to prepare my son for major dental work (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488065)

mugsywebb 02-02-2013 02:26 PM

how to prepare my son for major dental work

I haven't been on diaperswappers for quite a while, but I figured all you awesome mamas may give me some good help on preparing my son for dental work.
We have been to two dentists and these have to be done. I trust his dentists completely and ds lives them. But he has to get some extractions and some crowns. They are doing oral sedation split into two appointments. I've explained that he is going to lose some teeth and he is fine with that, in fact he is ready to go now. (he loves the dentist)
But I don't know how to explain to him the drilling or the conscious sedation. I don't want to worry him but i don't want him to be surprised at the procedure. It isn't general anesthesia, he will be awake, but it isn't just laughing gas.
Have any mamas gone through this, and if so how can i prepare him for the big day. I'm going to ask the dentist to help explain it to him also, but id like some insight.
and please no flames, i already feel like an awful mama. We all have sucky teeth despite good nutrients and brushing flossing 2-4 times a day (basically after any food)
Thanks in advance!

tjs77tsa 02-02-2013 02:47 PM

Re: how to prepare my son for major dental work

I don't have any advice for you but I thought I would share that I had dental work done that way and I don't remember any of it.

l_Kimmie_l 02-02-2013 03:23 PM

I had gas at 8 yrs and do not remember any of my appointment. My DS had gas at under 2 and does not remember either. Their is a really good chance yours won't remember either.

l_Kimmie_l 02-02-2013 03:23 PM

I had gas at 8 yrs and do not remember any of my appointment. My DS had gas at under 2 and does not remember either. Their is a really good chance yours won't remember either.

mcpforever 02-02-2013 03:28 PM

DS2 had two teeth extracted at age 3.5. All we told him was that the dentist would give him medicine so it wouldn't hurt. (His teeth already hurt a little.) He drank an oral sedative. Once that kicked in, they gave him some gas. They told him to close his eyes (he cooperated without question) and gave him the numbing shot. The dentist told me I did great. ;) It seems I was more stressed than DS2.

I think the hardest part was after when he was hungry. The soft food wasn't cutting it for him. He needed some real food!

I honestly wouldn't use the words "drill" or "pull." They sound scary and stressful to little kids. I thought I would help my eldest out before his first cavity filling to explain what was going to happen and it freaked him out. Got to the pediatric dentist and they used the phrase "clean out that cavity." They also talk about "cleaning the cavity bugs out" when they do routine cleaning.

mugsywebb 02-02-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 16239678)
DS2 had two teeth extracted at age 3.5. All we told him was that the dentist would give him medicine so it wouldn't hurt. (His teeth already hurt a little.) He drank an oral sedative. Once that kicked in, they gave him some gas. They told him to close his eyes (he cooperated without question) and gave him the numbing shot. The dentist told me I did great. ;) It seems I was more stressed than DS2.

I think the hardest part was after when he was hungry. The soft food wasn't cutting it for him. He needed some real food!

I honestly wouldn't use the words "drill" or "pull." They sound scary and stressful to little kids. I thought I would help my eldest out before his first cavity filling to explain what was going to happen and it freaked him out. Got to the pediatric dentist and they used the phrase "clean out that cavity." They also talk about "cleaning the cavity bugs out" when they do routine cleaning.

thanks! I told him some teeth were loose and the dentist was going to take them out and he liked that idea (probably because his older friends have missing teeth). It makes me feel a lot better that everyone says they don't remember it because he thinks the dentist is the coolest place and I don't want him to have a bad taste after this.

escapethevillage 02-02-2013 04:03 PM

Can he listen to an Ipod? He might not remember any of it, but having some music he likes on an ipod might help him to refocus his attention. Especially if he doesn't own an ipod, and you make a playlist just for him on your ipod.

kimb96 02-03-2013 07:23 AM

Ds had to have a tooth pulled and a couple of cavities drilled. He just had the gas and he did amazingly well. I hope you are using a pediatric dentist. They are so good at pulling out all the stops with kids. They gave him the gas and some numbing gel before the shot. They gave him a toy to play with and they maneuvered the needle in a way that he didn't even know he got a shot. They did the small cavity first and then pulled the tooth. Ds was 7 and he said it hurt when they pulled the tooth but it was over in a second. He had to go back and get the other cavity done on another visit as it was on the other side of his mouth and he had no trouble at all. They let me stay in there with him and I just sat at his feet and patted his legs so he would know I was there.

lizgrace07 02-03-2013 08:59 AM

My 4yo just had a bunch of stuff done. It was split into two appointment as well. At the first appointment he got one tooth pulled, a spacer put in, and one crown. At the second appointment he got two fillings and one root canal and crown. He only had laughing gas. It was totally fine.

During the first procedure he was perfectly content and comfortable watching a movie on the ceiling while the dentist worked. He did everything they asked him to and literally never made a peep. He was groggy and uncomfortable when they took the gas off. I gave him a dose of tylenol and a milkshake and he was perfectly fine and acting normal from then on as soon as the tylenol kicked in. It was really no big deal.

For the second appointment he was happy to go back to the dentist and not worried at all. He cried for the shot of novocain this time. (Poor baby! Not sure why because it didn't bother him the first time.) He also moaned/cried during the procedure and we figured out that in his grogginess the loud noise of the drill was bothering him. Not much we could do about that, but he was not in pain because when the dentist used quiet tools he didn't mind at all. Eventually he just fell asleep (in the middle of the root canal!). When they took him off the gas he was moaning and uncomfortable but again a dose of tylenol and a milkshake and all was perfectly fine. He loved watching the movies while the dentist worked and he loved picking a cool toy from the prize bin. When I ask him now about it he says that it was great. :) I wouldn't worry too much. He really wants to go back so he can pick another prize. Haha!

lizgrace07 02-03-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimb96 (Post 16241780)
Ds had to have a tooth pulled and a couple of cavities drilled. He just had the gas and he did amazingly well. I hope you are using a pediatric dentist. They are so good at pulling out all the stops with kids. They gave him the gas and some numbing gel before the shot. They gave him a toy to play with and they maneuvered the needle in a way that he didn't even know he got a shot. They did the small cavity first and then pulled the tooth. Ds was 7 and he said it hurt when they pulled the tooth but it was over in a second. He had to go back and get the other cavity done on another visit as it was on the other side of his mouth and he had no trouble at all. They let me stay in there with him and I just sat at his feet and patted his legs so he would know I was there.

Yes, good point! We went to a pediatric dentist and she was just wonderful! She really knew how to put kids at ease.