Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How the heck to eat!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488188)

WyattsMommy09 02-02-2013 11:48 PM

How the heck to eat!?

Starting Monday, ds will have hockey practice from 5-6... right in the middle of dinner time.:banghead::banghead: To make matters WORSE, its about a 15-20 minute drive sans traffic, and since thats right about rush hour time here, we have to leave by 4:15 AT THE LATEST, which makes an early dinner out of the running. We will also likely hit traffic on the way home, I'm expecting, from end of practice to get home, 30-45 minutes, which is pretty much bedtime :/

How the heck do I feed the kids!? Last time we ended up grabbing Chik-fil-a because it was right there and easy. But spending $100 a month on eating out ONE night a week kinda blew my thrifty-ness. I thought about packing sandwiches, but really, after an hour of roller hockey, a 4 year old needs a little more than that.

So what the heck do i do? Just bite the bullet and let him eat chik-fil-a once a week and counteract the junk food with super healthy food all the rest of the time!? Push dinner way back those nights and hope it doesn't screw with their schedule? They're on a new schedule since last time he did hockey, bedtime has moved up 3 hours. And anytime they're up late, they're miserable and off their schedule for the next few days...

UGH. who knew an extracurricular activity could wreck so much havoc!?:giggle2:

rverrone11 02-03-2013 12:01 AM

Re: How the heck to eat!?

Whenever I had extracurricular activities around that time, my mom would always pack leftovers for dinner to take with us.

wasCarmel23 02-03-2013 12:02 AM

can you do stuff the the crock pot so it is just ready when you get home? and then have a snack after practice ? I know it is so hard! maybe just cut the fast food down to 1/2 time?

*KaiMom* 02-03-2013 12:09 AM

I don't see a difference between sandwiches and chick' fil a. Meat, bread, something to drink and done...throw in some already cut up fruit and your super mom.

Mommyto2B2G 02-03-2013 12:12 AM

I'd make dinner early that day, portion it out in tupperware and then heat it up before you run out the door. The kids can eat in the car or just try to arrive 15 early and eat there. :)

WyattsMommy09 02-03-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *KaiMom* (Post 16241309)
I don't see a difference between sandwiches and chick' fil a. Meat, bread, something to drink and done...throw in some already cut up fruit and your super mom.

I guess I just can't see pb&j or turkey sandwiches as dinner, lol! I always expect something warm, I guess. Or more filling, I suppose. I'd say more nutritious, but chickfila isn't very nutritious, huh? Even grilled nuggets, fruit and milk.... Lol

lakemom 02-03-2013 06:04 AM

You say "roller hockey" so are you at an indoor rink? If so, what about dinner in the crockpot, take it with you and keep it warm at the rink then eat after practice and before hopping into the car. How many days a week are you out of the house? Can you plan a sandwich night, a crockpot night, etc. or are you there 5 days a week?

ulawolf 02-03-2013 06:41 AM

Kido won't care if its warm. I do turkey and cheese rollups with csrrott sticks and pb and some fruit. You can eat when you get home. I also do crockpot meals so ppl can eat at different times.

cmarsh31 02-03-2013 07:21 AM

Yup, those nights are meant for dinner in the car or a pb&j on the way and crockpot ready meal as soon as you get home. Make pizza the night before (double) and leftover pizza in the car would work great.

KrisM 02-03-2013 08:09 AM

I'd bring dinner as well. If it has to be a hot meal, pack it in a thermal container before you leave. It'll stay warm for a couple hours, easily.

I've never been to a Chik-Fil-A, but maybe there is something cheaper that won't cost $25/visit? Could you find something less expensive for part of the meal and supplement with things brought from home? Can you order a pizza delivered to the hockey rink and eat before you leave to go home? Not ideal, but cheaper than $25, I'd think.