Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Elimination diet (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488687)

nursemama23 02-04-2013 01:26 PM

Elimination diet

I cut out all obvious dairy two weeks ago as DS, now 6 weeks was showing some of the symptoms dd2 and dd3 had with dairy sensitivity. He's doing a little better but not great. Still fussy, grunting, went from having multiple messy diapers daily weeks 1-4 to only one a day now he's on day 3 without. Gassy, poor sleep, yesterday started with what appears to be baby acne on his cheeks and the dry skin on his head, back, and legs is getting worse. I am now Eliminating all dairy but not sure if I should do more than just dairy. What can i eat? when bfing im constantly starving so need snack ideas. Also have heard some mamas use probiotics for newbies with good results.

Bella Catalina 02-04-2013 01:38 PM

Re: Elimination diet

We've been dealing with the same, but this is my first dairy sensitive baby. I'd try the probiotics, both for you and for him, and cut hidden dairy and soy, too, because something like 60% of babies with a dairy intolerance also have issues with soy. I've read that dairy can take 2-3 weeks to leave our system, then another 2+ to leave theirs, too, and they can get worse before they get better. Maybe he needs a little longer?

strongwoman 02-04-2013 01:42 PM

I'm right there with you mama, except that my little one is 6 months old and we've been battling the skin rash since three months. I eliminated dairy as well and gluten products which helped a lot as well, but he's still scratching. My DS3's poops used to be 1x every four the seven days but they have changed to 1x/day after stopping dairy and gluten. As for snacks, I *try* to stick to fruits, nuts, gluten free bread with avocado and salt and pepper. You could also use sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. I discovered some easy soups to make during this season at this website as well as gluten and dairy free snacks: www.drbenkim.com Someone else suggested a total elimination diet at Dr. Sears' website but I found it too restrictive and I was stressing out. Basically with that diet you eliminate all allergy prone foods for two weeks then gradually add other foods every four days and monitor any reactions. When I find the site address I'll post it for you. I bought some probiotics for my LO too, but haven't been able to feed it to him yet since he hates the bottle. I hope things get better for you and your little one. I know how frustrating it can be!

oldmomma 02-04-2013 02:33 PM

Keep up the good work momma. I know how hard it is.

I did the sunflower butter and we still use it at home. You can put it on celery sticks
with raisins, apples all kinds of things.

strongwoman, I found a probiotic that was liquid so I just did the 5 drops in DD2's mouth. I didn't have to worry about mixing it in a bottle. The brand is BioGaia. Pricey but worth it. I really should start them again.

nursemama23 02-05-2013 12:12 AM

I think I've heard of mamas sprinkling the probiotic on their nipple and lo getting it that way

tibeca 02-05-2013 12:16 PM

Food sensitivities/allergies are HARD. Start keeping a food diary so you can see if there is a pattern. At this point, with 3 kids and myself having allergies, there are very few meals that we eat where everyone can eat all of everything. And since I'm tandem nursing, there's over 30 foods I can't eat. It is hard, but completely worth it!

strongwoman 02-05-2013 10:23 PM

Here's the website someone else recommended to me as a starting point to rid yourself of all allergy ridden foods: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...imination-diet I haven't tried it but I did find that dairy and gluten elimination helped tremendously. I had some dairy recently (bad mommy) and my LO ended up having a flare up again :( I feel so bad about it. I'm not going to be doing that again.