Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Heartburn Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488823)

ekeith28 02-04-2013 08:20 PM

Heartburn Help!

I don't remember having heartburn this badly the first time around, but what are some tips & remedies to the bloating and irritation from my stomach to my throat?!?:yuck:

cheezpoofs 02-04-2013 08:35 PM

Re: Heartburn Help!

Eating a piece of bread or cheese is helpful - it helps to neutralize the acid in your stomach and may also sop up some of the excess fluids. I feel your pain, though. I'm at the end of my pregnancy and I have heartburn on and off due to the stomach being pushed up.

steph410 02-04-2013 08:57 PM

I've had horrible heartburn I think with every pregnancy. I don't like to take medications or whatever to treat it, so I usually just suffer through it. But one tip that sort of helped me was to elevate my head at night with lots of pillows. It is thought to prevent the heartburn acid from continually coming up. good luck!!

lynn97 02-04-2013 10:45 PM

I have heard of taking apple cider vinegar (ACV) or pills made from it. I am going to try that. I was miserable with reflux with DS and ended up on high-powered drugs with him, but it was only really bad in 3rd tri. Basically. There was reflux "stuff" pushed up into my mouth frequently and I was really sick to my stomach from the excess acid :-x So gross. I also sleep on several pillows, propped up. I need to try something b/c it is already bad his time around and I'm only 14 weeks pg. good luck, mama!

L&MsMamma 02-04-2013 10:48 PM

I had horrible heartburn with both my kids, it was no fun! Taking a teaspoonful if apple cider vinegar mixed in a few ounces of water a couple times a day worked wonders!!! I also used to eat a slice if papaya right before bed, something in Papaya is good for heartburn and it used to help neutralize everything long enough for me to get some sleep! I also had to be really careful with my diet and cut out all heartburn inducing foods.

jackobeano 02-04-2013 11:23 PM

The regular white Tums (so no extra un-needed colors) work great and are only calcium so no medication which I won't take while pregnant.

Christylkeller 02-05-2013 12:31 AM

I used papaya enzymes in the beginning of pregnancy, but then had to switch to zantac 150 twice a day, and now I am on Omeprazole in the morning and zantac at night. My reflux gets really out of control during pregnancy. Hope you can find something to help!

Mom2Connor 02-05-2013 06:35 AM

The only thing that helps me is milk. It was like this with DS1. I literally drink almost a gallon a day. Everything causes horrible heartburn.

I take two big spoonfuls of maalox at night before bed, and I make sure I eat several hrs before bed or boy do I pay for it when I lay down. I also sleep on two pillows.

We've just learned that when i'm pregnant, we spend a small fortune on milk for the second half of the pregnancy.

Mom2Connor 02-05-2013 06:46 AM

Tums don't work for me and I take maalox because otherwise I wake up gagging on crap coming up my throat (reflux). Maalox and milk helps me a lot. It will literally make me vomit everything up if I don't.

ekeith28 02-05-2013 02:07 PM

Thanks so much! I got some papaya extract today, and will also try the apple cider vinegar -- that works to help ward off the onset of viral junk too!