Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Birth control while breastfeeding? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488960)

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 02-05-2013 10:29 AM

Birth control while breastfeeding?

DD is 9 weeks and DH and I have been discussing family planning options. Neither of us is interested in anything permanent. I want to make sure that I don't use anything that might decrease supply because DS only breastfed until 5ish months due to nursing strikes and supply dips. He was on formula by six months. I want to EBF this baby until she weans, at least over a year.

I'm not comfortable using breastfeeding as birth control since my period came back at 4mths pp with DS, even though he was exclusively breastfed at that point.

Condoms do not work for us because I'm very sensitive and have had bad reactions in the past (not sure whether it's the latex or the lubricant).

I'm thinking maybe a copper IUD, but I already get very painful menstrual cramps and I've heard it can make them worse.

Any better ideas? What has worked well for you while breastfeeding?

keonli 02-05-2013 10:40 AM

Re: Birth control while breastfeeding?

I'm using the mini pill.

knodceo 02-05-2013 10:46 AM

We use VCF they are spermicide films..downside is waiting 15 before dTD,

I am super sensitive and can't do condoms. And I refuse to be on the pill or iud again. Hubby is in line to get snipped.

l_Kimmie_l 02-05-2013 10:50 AM

I loved the copper IUD. It did not make my periods worse and I was able to breastfeed with no issues.

MadeofStarStuff 02-05-2013 10:53 AM

The mini pill worked great for me, with zero change to supply.

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 02-05-2013 12:25 PM

Anyone who uses the mini pill also suffer from migraines and were they affected? Last time I was on BCP (combination), my migraines doubled in frequency.

Van1300 02-05-2013 07:15 PM

Here's my experience: I used the mini pill and EBF my daughter for 1 year. My supply was awful. I pumped 3x at work every day and I basically stopped at 9 months because I wasn't getting even an ounce. I also never lost the baby weight.

Now I am 3 months post with my son. We are EBF, and I'm pumping 3x a day again. This time with about 3-4 oz extra every day. I also have lost 20 lbs. NO mini pill for me. We are using condoms and hubby with get the big V after the baby is 9 months old.

tibeca 02-06-2013 11:55 AM

We are using a diaphragm with contragel (allergy to spermicide) and Fertility Awareness Method. We use the diaphragm all the time, and especially avoid when we know I'm fertile.

joeslittlewoman 02-06-2013 07:19 PM

I had the paraguard before kids. I had had painful cramping since puberty, but short periods. The paraguard did not make the cramping worse for me. And my period was lengthened maybe half a day--still a short period. No side effects.

After I stopped using disposable products (between kids), I stopped having painful periods. I might be getting another paraguard after this baby, so I'm curious to see if it will still be side-effect-free for me.

firemommaof1 02-06-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo (Post 16251032)
We use VCF they are spermicide films..downside is waiting 15 before dTD,

I am super sensitive and can't do condoms. And I refuse to be on the pill or iud again. Hubby is in line to get snipped.

I just saw these in the store and was interested. How are they working for you? how long have you been using them?