Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Donation ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489093)

palsmama 02-05-2013 03:53 PM

Donation ?

For mama's who donate while still feeding your own babies, how do you do it? What is your pumping schedule like? I have a friend who adopted and would love to supply her new baby with BM. But don't know how to balance between my 3.5 month old and pumping!

abunchoflemons 02-05-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Donation ?

feed on one side pump one side. then next round switch. ddonated almost 2000 oz to milk bank & was going to give to friend.

l_Kimmie_l 02-05-2013 03:57 PM

I always fed my baby on one side and pumped on the other for my donor baby. Kinda like feeding twins I guess.

palsmama 02-05-2013 04:27 PM

But what if my baby nurses on both sides per feeding?

keen1981 02-05-2013 04:42 PM

It's very hard for someone to do this. It usually works easiest for moms who have over supply. Over supply is basically the moms who get 5-10 ounces a pump session (with 2-3 hours between sessions) that's a lot of milk. And not the amount a singleton should consume. So it's over supply. You can try to give urself over supply. Sometimes it works. Pump after every single feeding and pump thru the night- every 2-3 hours.

palsmama 02-05-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16252662)
It's very hard for someone to do this. It usually works easiest for moms who have over supply. Over supply is basically the moms who get 5-10 ounces a pump session (with 2-3 hours between sessions) that's a lot of milk. And not the amount a singleton should consume. So it's over supply. You can try to give urself over supply. Sometimes it works. Pump after every single feeding and pump thru the night- every 2-3 hours.

Yowzers. Not sure I can do that. Also, I had an over supply with my ds and he was miserable. I really don't want an over supply. I guess I will just pump first thing in the morning and save what I get. Thanks so much ladies.

keen1981 02-05-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palsmama

Yowzers. Not sure I can do that. Also, I had an over supply with my ds and he was miserable. I really don't want an over supply. I guess I will just pump first thing in the morning and save what I get. Thanks so much ladies.

Do that and then maybe start pumping before you go to bed? You should get a nice routine going so that you don't create an imbalance for ur wee one. Kwim? Then you can give her a bottle or two for each day. :)

palsmama 02-05-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16252817)
Do that and then maybe start pumping before you go to bed? You should get a nice routine going so that you don't create an imbalance for ur wee one. Kwim? Then you can give her a bottle or two for each day. :)

Yeah. That sounds good! I will do that. ;) I feel so blessed to be able to give her anything at all. Her baby was in the NICU and she just texted me that her babies first BM was mine!! :) :lostit: wish I could provide so much more!

keen1981 02-05-2013 05:26 PM

Start slow and then just keep building sessions if you can manage and stay comfortable :) such a gift to give!!!!!

PurpleDaffodil 02-05-2013 06:56 PM

I give a friend at church one bottle a day, I'd love to pump more and sometimes feel guilty for not giving her more, but one session is all i can manage with my little one.