Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do I do with venison? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489126)

BSWmama 02-05-2013 06:15 PM

What do I do with venison?

We were given a package of venison chops. I have never cooked venison - I don't think I've ever even tasted it but am excited to try. How do I prepare these? Slow cooker? I assume they're lean/tough?

O'sMommy:) 02-05-2013 07:14 PM

Re: What do I do with venison?

Venison is not tough at all. It is very lean though. It's a lot like beef without so much fat. I love it personally. You can coat them in flour and fry them like you would pork, you can bake them, grill them, barbecue them, them options are endless.

smplmama 02-06-2013 12:22 PM

Barbecue! Especially if you aren't used to the gamier taste :) marinating is always good beforehand

dressagemom 02-06-2013 08:51 PM

I really really like venison after it's cooked in the crock-pot all day. Here is how I cook it:

Sear it in a hot pan. You will probably have to add some sort of fat, as venison is very lean. Finely chop an onion, and cook it briefly in the hot skillet. Place the meat and onion in the crockpot. Add a package of cream of mushroom soup (I really like the Pacific brand). Season with salt, pepper, garlic, and add a small amount of water (no more than 1/2 to 1 cup). Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

mommabritt 02-07-2013 07:28 AM

I have a freezer full of it and I only like the loin fried up, Dh makes jerky every weekend in the oven, and I use ground burger with equal parts ground turkey bc I don't like it alone. I'm no help!

blossomgoat 02-07-2013 08:24 AM

We actually buy venison spices/curing mix and turn most of it into jerky with our food deyhydrator. We grind the rest and use it in place of ground beef. The jerky is incredibly good an popular around here. After we make jerky, we freeze it and then serve it right out of the freezer. It lasts darn near forever that way.

My BIL, however, grills a heck of a venison tenderloin. The man has a gift with the grill. I swear, it borders on miraculous.

blossomgoat 02-07-2013 08:24 AM

We actually buy venison spices/curing mix and turn most of it into jerky with our food deyhydrator. We grind the rest and use it in place of ground beef. The jerky is incredibly good an popular around here. After we make jerky, we freeze it and then serve it right out of the freezer. It lasts darn near forever that way.

My BIL, however, grills a heck of a venison tenderloin. The man has a gift with the grill. I swear, it borders on miraculous.

vjbakke 02-07-2013 05:30 PM

If I know it will not be very gamey I will cook it just like beef, baked or on the grill. I don't care for gamey meat so if it is I'd rather cook it in a way to " cover" the gamey. Marinate it, add other types of meat or spices work too.

karlitacat 02-07-2013 06:39 PM

I used some in beef stew - coated it in flour and browned it. I've also ground it up to use in any dishes calling for ground meat. I made a yummy beef stroganoff with it, too. Basically, anything that calls for beef/red meat! My mother-in-law did a roast with some venison but said it didn't reheat well so she put the rest in chili.