Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Being forced back to a doctor... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489252)

CntryMama 02-06-2013 06:09 AM

Being forced back to a doctor...

I am so upset :( I am being forced back to a doctor once I start my heart medication even though I HAVE my cardios approval to see a midwife. It is so dumb.

So, my questions are that with a midwife I do not have to have a pap until after the baby is born or any ultrasounds - can I refuse the pap from the OB doctor? I 'know' my rights say I can refuse whatever I want but I do not want to throw a fit and cause issues since I can only go to one hospital/clinic (the same one as my cardios). Does anyone else refuse the pap? Do they HAVE to check me at the end too?! I would rather knowone check me... These things have NOTHING to do with my heart or why I am being transfered so why should they, right?!

acwakip 02-06-2013 06:12 AM

Re: Being forced back to a doctor...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama (Post 16254542)
I am so upset :( I am being forced back to a doctor once I start my heart medication even though I HAVE my cardios approval to see a midwife. It is so dumb.

So, my questions are that with a midwife I do not have to have a pap until after the baby is born or any ultrasounds - can I refuse the pap from the OB doctor? I 'know' my rights say I can refuse whatever I want but I do not want to throw a fit and cause issues since I can only go to one hospital/clinic (the same one as my cardios). Does anyone else refuse the pap? Do they HAVE to check me at the end too?! I would rather knowone check me... These things have NOTHING to do with my heart or why I am being transfered so why should they, right?!

My doctor never did a pap on me at the beginning of pregnancy. He usually did it at my 6 week PP visit. I thought this was standard procedure.

CntryMama 02-06-2013 06:37 AM

My first I had one at 12 weeks - I thought that was normal - and then they check you every appointment the last 4 weeks??

Tris 02-06-2013 06:51 AM

Getting a pap isn't a bad thing, is there a reason you are so adverse to one?
You can refuse internal checks at the end of the pregnancy, I just don't know why you wouldn't want a pap to make sure everything is ok.

ambivalent_amy 02-06-2013 06:56 AM

I always refuse the pap at my 10-12 week appointment and at the 6 week PP apt. I just tell them that I'm up to date on my pap and I'd prefer to follow up with my family doctor on that. This pregnancy, they requested an extra urine test to test for some STI (chlamydia maybe?) and had me sign a release to get the results of my most recent pap from my family doctor. It wasn't a big deal at all.

CntryMama 02-06-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16254627)
Getting a pap isn't a bad thing, is there a reason you are so adverse to one?
You can refuse internal checks at the end of the pregnancy, I just don't know why you wouldn't want a pap to make sure everything is ok.

I just had one before the pregnancy and have always had normal results. I just do not see why I would need another one so soon - they are not comfertable and do not feel good - so why should I have one again? My husband does NOT cheat on me nor do I work in the medical field so the oddes of me getting something is rare. Knowone in my family or extended family has ever had cancer (any kind including breast).

I guess I just dont understand why anyone would want one if they JUST had one?! I am suprised that someone would want multiple paps in a very shrot period of time - really people like them?!

CntryMama 02-06-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambivalent_amy (Post 16254636)
I always refuse the pap at my 10-12 week appointment and at the 6 week PP apt. I just tell them that I'm up to date on my pap and I'd prefer to follow up with my family doctor on that. This pregnancy, they requested an extra urine test to test for some STI (chlamydia maybe?) and had me sign a release to get the results of my most recent pap from my family doctor. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Thanks!! I had that too - they said you are required to take a chlamydia test :headscratch: I dont mind peeing in a cup but having multiple/differant people sticking their hands up me seems really unnessasary.

PS - I cant spell but I can do large sums of math in my head!

Tris 02-06-2013 07:27 AM

If you just had one I would just say as such. They won't force you down and make you have one.

I am pretty shocked that no one in your entire family has had cancer, that's seems pretty unheard of these days!

Eta- they might really want you to test for group B strep, but that's a bit less invasive. I would think a midwife would also test for that though?

happysmileylady 02-06-2013 07:30 AM

With my first pregnancy I didn't have any pap at all. With my second, I did not have one because I was pregnant after IVF and had already had like every test under the sun run before doing the IVF. I did have a PAP at the 6wk appt because by that point it had been over a year. I also had a pap at the beginnning of my third pregnancy because that one done at my post partum visit after that second pregnancy had been my last one (those two are only 22 months apart.) I did not have one at the 6wk check up. With this 4th pregnancy, I had JUST Had a pap, so none at the beginning and none at the end either.

As for being checked, with this last pregnancy, the only checks were at my request. One at 38 wks due to lots of contractions, 1 when I went into L&D on Thrusday night, 1 when I came back 6 hrs later (went from 1cm to 3cm in those 6 hrs) at 5am and 1 a few hrs later, I was at 6cm. That was all.

klevmomma 02-06-2013 07:37 AM

Well, you pretty much know the drill already, so I think you've answered your own questions :-) You can refuse anything you would like. Best case scenario, your providers are accommodating of your wishes. Mid-case scenario, they accommodate but begrudgingly, lecturing you, etc. Worst case, they kick you out of the practice.

Since it sounds like you only have the one practice to use, I would go to the visit and feel it out. Make your requests known. If they give you a hard time, you can decide at that point to either live with the somewhat antagonistic relationship or just go with the flow and accept their routines. It's really up to you, and none of us can really advise you because we don't know the providers and how they will react. I've found every provider to be different. Some really push for the "routine" kind of stuff you are talking about, others not so much.

I will say though, that since you have JUST had a pap, that shouldn't be any problem at all. Just explain that you had one quite recently and you will be glad to sign the release required in order to have the record of it sent to their office, but you do not wish to repeat the test so soon. Excepting when my opinion of "soon" differs sharply from the provider, I have never had any provider argue against that. Good luck with the switch, mama!