Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   FREAKING OUT! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489390)

erlyjo 02-06-2013 01:40 PM

FREAKING OUT!

I just changed my 5 month old DD's diaper and there were blood streaks in her poo. Has anyone had this happen before? She's baby #4 and I have never seen this. DH just lost his job, we have high deductible insurance, and I want to make sure it's absolutely necessary before I run to the doctor because I'm not sure we have the money. I'm a hypochondriac by nature so I don't know if I'm overreacting or not...

marliah 02-06-2013 01:42 PM

Re: FREAKING OUT!

Dairy allergy can cause that.

erlyjo 02-06-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marliah
Dairy allergy can cause that.

All of the sudden after 5 months of being ok?

erlyjo 02-06-2013 01:45 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention she has had some seriously green poos lately. I remember that with the others on occasion, but this as been way greener and more often.

Spunkify 02-06-2013 02:20 PM

Green poops could be virus or dairy sensitivity. If she was bleeding from somewhere like her nose and swallowed it it could cause blood in her diaper. Same if your nipple was bleeding and she swallowed it. If she ate something with food dye in it (like frosting) that could cause poop specks or streaks in that color.

Is she straining to go poop or having hard, pebble like poop?

Could she have a UTI (which can cause blood to be seen) or are you sure it's from the poop?

erlyjo 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunkify
Green poops could be virus or dairy sensitivity. If she was bleeding from somewhere like her nose and swallowed it it could cause blood in her diaper. Same if your nipple was bleeding and she swallowed it. If she ate something with food dye in it (like frosting) that could cause poop specks or streaks in that color.

Could she have a UTI (which can cause blood to be seen) or are you sure it's from the poop?

She's EBF, so definitely not food coloring. She has typical seedy EBF poo, but it's been unusually greenish lately. It's anything but hard! The blood is definitely in her poo. I thought it was red threads or fibers at first. She has not had any bloody noses or anything and I have not had any nipple issues.

I'm trying so hard not to panic!

Babybird4 02-06-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunkify

Green poops can also be from an oversupply if you are BFing. If the blood was bright red it means its coming from somewhere in/around the anus. If it were swallowed and digested it would be old and brown. My DD2 gets constipated and occasionally has a little bleed with a hard poop. I would watch it and see if it happens again. If the green poop is a virus it could be irritating and causing the bleeding.

April, mommy to Haylea (8/18/09), Hannah (5/22/11) and baby Hogan (12/12/12) *sent from my iPhone*

CntryMama 02-06-2013 02:29 PM

Has she had a banana?! I thought there was blood in dd poop but it was the banana strings :giggle: I would double check that DH or a sitter/grandma did not give her a banana!

erlyjo 02-06-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama
Has she had a banana?! I thought there was blood in dd poop but it was the banana strings :giggle: I would double check that DH or a sitter/grandma did not give her a banana!

She has NEVER had anything to eat other than breast milk. She is with me 24/7, so I'm positive no one has given her anything else.

erlyjo 02-06-2013 02:36 PM

I have always had an abundance of milk and she's been "snacking" lately, so I'm guessing the green poo issue is due to too much foremilk, but that still doesn't explain the blood! She's definitely not constipated...