Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   too much milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489498)

gghmommy 02-06-2013 08:25 PM

too much milk

Our little one will be 5 days tomorrow morning, my milk came in really well yesterday and it seems like he just can't nurse enough to relieve my swollen boobs. Is there anything I can do to help? Also, before my milk came in, he'd nurse 10-15 min each side, each feeding. Now he does more like 15 min one side, then maybe nothing to anywhere from 5-10 min on the other side. Is this normal? I want to make sure he's getting the hind milk, and clearly I don't need to stimulate my boobs to make more milk, so just switching from one side per feed to the other side next feed- is that ok? thanks!

Computermama 02-06-2013 09:53 PM

Re: too much milk

Some heat on your boobs can help soften them that or a little bit of pumping (not a lot - that can make things worse in the long run) just to help the feeling like you have boulders in your bra before having baby latch on. Your body will regulate supply as it figures out what he's actually taking.

He sounds fine. I think we as moms look for problems that aren't there. Follow his cues. If he seems happy doing that, he's likely fine.

And yes, you can nurse entirely on one side per feed, I've done that with DD2 since she was a newbie. I will warn you that you'll occasionally look lopsided when it's been a while between feeds, but that doesn't happen so much now that my baby is older.

MKDMama 02-07-2013 01:01 PM

dont worry about stimulating to make more milk..my sons pedi told me its not as much of a worry in the first few weeks..and you need to make sure to empty your breasts all the way to avoid infections and clogs! i have always over produced..with my now 16 w old son I got mastitis at 1 week post because I was making too much and he wasnt emptying even half...

doulamomma 02-07-2013 01:08 PM

If he is not getting enough hindmilk his poo will be green instead of the normal yellow. I have oversupply and have to block feed (2 or 3 feedings in a row on the same side)so he will get enough hindmilk.

Sent from my droid

1healthylady 02-07-2013 02:13 PM

Stock up your freezer. :giggle2:

But really, you're fine. DD would only eat from one side at a time. It wasn't until just a few weeks ago that she really started eating from both sides. The best thing I could do was stand in the shower and massage and manually express a little milk. It relieved it a little.

Tris 02-07-2013 05:23 PM

For awhile I'd only feed from one side and use a manual pump on the other, I got a decent stash built up that way :)

rcima 02-10-2013 02:06 PM

Try hand expressing to relieve some pressure, possibly in the warm shower.

isabelsmummy 02-13-2013 12:05 AM

For me, that engorgement lasts quite a long time. In addition to the hot showers and manually expressing milk there I also found all these things to be helpful -

- sleeping without a bra on top of a waterproof pad covered with lots of towels. I just let the excess leak..
- cold cabbage leaves in my bra. Yes really. I thought people were nuts but it was so soothing
- Advil. (I was in a lot of pain from it!
- hot compresses before nursing and cold afterwards.

I wouldn't worry too too much about the hindmilk thing right now. The engorgement phase is completely normal and very few babies will be able to empty your breasts right now.

lovebabies 02-16-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
Some heat on your boobs can help soften them that or a little bit of pumping (not a lot - that can make things worse in the long run) just to help the feeling like you have boulders in your bra before having baby latch on. Your body will regulate supply as it figures out what he's actually taking.

He sounds fine. I think we as moms look for problems that aren't there. Follow his cues. If he seems happy doing that, he's likely fine.

And yes, you can nurse entirely on one side per feed, I've done that with DD2 since she was a newbie. I will warn you that you'll occasionally look lopsided when it's been a while between feeds, but that doesn't happen so much now that my baby is older.

This! I'm usually crazy engorged for about a week after my milk comes in. I know it seems like you'll be in pain and have too much milk forever, but it will get better! Congrats on your new little love!

snoggle 02-17-2013 01:08 PM

Also, relying on the color of baby poop to tell you whether or not they're getting hindmilk isn't too reliable at this age anyway, since baby may still be passing some meconium/transitional stools.