Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   what does your BFing toddler drink with meals? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489568)

serenas_song 02-07-2013 07:07 AM

what does your BFing toddler drink with meals?

This might seem like a silly question, but what does your toddler drink with their meals? Mine usually has water but wondering if she should have cow's milk. She's 15 months and BFs several times a day still. Thanks!

keen1981 02-07-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenas_song
This might seem like a silly question, but what does your toddler drink with their meals? Mine usually has water but wondering if she should have cow's milk. She's 15 months and BFs several times a day still. Thanks!

That's a personal parenting choice.

marliah 02-07-2013 07:34 AM

Re: what does your BFing toddler drink with meals?

Mine has water but I agree it's a parenting choice, we all drink water at meals, of we were milk drinkers or juice drinkers is old give her whatever everyone else was having,

Spunkify 02-07-2013 08:40 AM

Noah doesn't really like cow's milk. He typically has water or juice with meals. He nurses around the clock, on demand at almost 16 months old. Personally I think cow's milk is overrated when you actually take the to research beyond the mainstream. For that reason i don't push milk onto any of my kids though if they want it they can have it.

momma_dna 02-07-2013 09:24 PM

Water. DS refused cows milk for a long time. I wasn't too concerned though because he still nursed a few times a day and loves cheese. We just weaned at 20 months due to pregnancy pain. He's still not big on cows milk and drinks it occasionally. We only do water at meals still and he does drink one sippe of 1/2 water 1/2 oj throughout the day (only 1) and if not that than just water. He really loves water :) But like pp stated, it's a personal choice for all parents. Besides the 1/2c of oj, we try to stick away from juices due to sugar.

AnimalHouse 02-08-2013 07:17 AM

DS3 is 18 months old, and drinks water with meals. We'll start offering cow's milk with supper in a few months.

MommyZ of 2 02-08-2013 08:23 AM

I'm not sure if there's any truth in this, but I read it somewhere before. Drinking milk with meals can interfere with the absorption of nutrients from the food you eat. I'll have to go google and find out if that's a myth. FWIW, when my guy was still nursing, he had water or diluted juice.

Okay, back from google. It appears that it can interfere with iron absorption. Not a huge deal, unless you are vegetarian, or notice symptoms of anemia.
Keep in mind, though, that milk is more like a food than a drink. It carries a lot of calories, and fat, and can make you feel more full.

MDever 02-08-2013 08:31 AM

We give water. She seems to prefer it perhaps because that is what she is used to. She was a slow gainer and we wanted to make sure she was getting nutrient rich calories from food and kids tend to fill up on milk and juice.

Kätzchen 02-08-2013 09:54 AM

My 18mo nurses or drinks water with meals.

Mom2jandb 02-08-2013 07:09 PM

Another water :)