Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   anyone decline the PKU? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489598)

Kiliki 02-07-2013 08:53 AM

anyone decline the PKU?

I learned last time that the PKU is best administered a few days after birth. (48-72 hrs? IIRC?)

But the PKU was done immediately last time and then had to be repeated later, and it was awful.

My MW said some families begin declining the PKU after they've had several children, figuring they would have seen any issues by that point.

I feel confident we have no genetic problems in our families.

But I am also worried that if we *don't* do the test, our baby could have some serious problem that goes undetected.

Anyway, anyone ever decline the PKU? Why?

ETA --- THIS is the test I am talking about. Am I calling it thr right name? It's the heel stick test.

blossomgoat 02-07-2013 09:10 AM

Re: anyone decline the PKU?

I would go ahead and do it, honestly. I did some grad school in genetic counseling. It is such a small test and if it's positivie, there's a reasonable course of lifestyle changes to prevent a very BIG developmental issue for any affected child. The payout, should your child have PKU, is so big compaired to the small pain of the test.

3 ladybugs 02-07-2013 09:17 AM

Isn't this test required in some states? I deliver in PA and I thought this was the blood test that goes to the state. :headscratch:

mysticmomma1879 02-07-2013 09:17 AM

We declined after our first.

Nerissa 02-07-2013 09:21 AM

I work in the schools and have seen the results to a kid that didn't get tested and/or parents didn't follow the rules so to speak and it is sad.

I would do the test

Kiliki 02-07-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16259586)
Isn't this test required in some states? I deliver in PA and I thought this was the blood test that goes to the state. :headscratch:

I guess it is something we can opt out of. My MW has me sign a paper saying whether we accept it or decline it.

Kiliki 02-07-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 (Post 16259594)
We declined after our first.

Would you be willing to share your reasons? And the outcome?

3 ladybugs 02-07-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki (Post 16259627)
I guess it is something we can opt out of. My MW has me sign a paper saying whether we accept it or decline it.

I know I didn't sign a consent for it. In fact for DD I was wondering what it was when it was on her isolette and they told me and I figured it was one of the things that I needed to do to bring home DD. DS I didn't even see it but I know it was done.

mysticmomma1879 02-07-2013 09:55 AM

Sure! I'll bbiab

mysticmomma1879 02-07-2013 09:56 AM

We declined with a hospital and 2 home births.