Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   DCP poured out milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489797)

sandy_dandy 02-07-2013 07:19 PM

My daycare poured out milk. :(

Baby nursed at home at 8:30 AM.

Daycare lady offered her a bottle at 10:30 (even though I said to feed her every 3-4 hours). She ate 1/2 oz because she wasn't hungry!

They offered again at 11:15. She ate 1/2 oz (still not hungry)! They poured the other 3 oz. out.

Anyway by the time I got there, she'd eaten 3 ounces all day and was refusing the "emergency" formula bottle. :banghead:

"Oh you have to pour it out after an hour." NOT WITH MILK! Glad I only work part-time so I don't have to cry about all that milk literally down a drain.

waterisntsomething 02-07-2013 07:24 PM

Re: DCP poured out milk

:( lame.

kushie tushie 02-07-2013 07:27 PM

:jawdrop: I would be pissed!!!
Its a lot of work for me to pump and I never get much. 3 oz would take me 1 to two pumping sessions.

I would bring in a breastmilk storage guide print out.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

sandy_dandy 02-07-2013 07:33 PM

I'm not mad... but I am frustrated. My DS has gone there since 12 weeks old. (Now he's 3 years old.)

They take good care of my kids, but they are used to FF babies. My DD does not like bottles, so I figured they'd keep offering the same bottle until she ate. I sent small bottles (2-3 oz) on purpose.

The afternoon teacher breastfed her kids so she is fine. The AM teacher today didn't know. So I'll be printing some info for them to have in the Infant Room binder.

IowaGold 02-07-2013 08:32 PM

Oh my. I would be frustrated too! I got lucky with my DCP. They had never had a breastfed baby before! :eek: I took them a whole sheet that I had compiled about feeding expressed breastmilk and they have actually been very good. Very little overfeeding (I think that's more DD than them, but whatever!) and they never knowingly "waste" milk. A couple of bottles have been spilled, but that's life! I hope your DCP is open to your suggestions.

Nerissa 02-07-2013 09:16 PM

How frustraiting I have had that happen too. I just make sure I leave full instructions for anyone now.

I about died when I found a full bottle (5oz) in the back of my fridge. I had no idea how long it had been there and it smelled funny and I dumped it.

sandy_dandy 02-07-2013 10:50 PM

They are very willing to work with me. They just did not know any better. There are some different people on the staff now than 3 years ago when my DS was getting bottles there, and he liked bottles and pacis so it wasn't an issue. DD hates any kind of artificial nipple and will eat very little all day, then nurse like crazy when I get her.

I was WOH full-time when DS was little. Now I WOH part-time and WAH so fortunately DD is only in care 2 days/week (but unfortunately I produce less for my pump since I don't pump that often).

I probably would have cried over poured-out milk when DS was tiny! I hated having to WOH so much & worked so hard to have enough milk. Today I was like, "It's OK, I'll make more!"

FrozenBooty 02-09-2013 01:10 PM

I only send 1-2 ounces in a bag to daycare so if not eaten its minimal loss.

sdavis514 02-09-2013 01:39 PM

Oh that sucks :( But I agree about the teachers not knowing how to handle it. Most daycares and teachers have little experience with BM. I worked daycare centers for over a decade and 98% of the babies were FF so the teachers are going off the rules used for that.

I can also tell you that it may depend on what thier licensing proffesionals say. I know that at the last daycare I worked at, the lady that relicensed the center made it very clear to the staff ( once my baby was there because he was the first BF baby they had ever dealt with in 12 years of business!!!) that bottles were to be heated slowly in a small crockpot and that they still needed thrown out if not eaten in an hour. Luckily, we were only there for 3 hours and I could usually justt nurse him instead of them bottlefeeding. BUt the point is, they have to follow what their state licensing regualtions say. And I know where I live, oonce the bottle is warmed, whether formula or BM, you only have an hour to feed it or it needs dumped!

slimy72 02-09-2013 02:38 PM

They have these little tubes they use in the hospital when you are pumping that just fit 1-2 oz and you put on one of the disposable nipples. Would something like that work? Little mini bottles? Then you could just have 2-5 of those and if she doesn't finish, they'd only throw out a half oz or so at a time but they would still have a "full" bottle. Our DCP when DS first went freaked because his bottles only had 2-4 oz in them and at his age they should have been 4-6. Well at the beginning he was still getting mostly BM (he did have to switch when I wasn't able to pump). But it was mainly because the bottle looked so empty (2 oz in an 8 oz bottle does look pitiful.) So I started sending smaller bottles and the problem was solved. Would something like that work?