Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   PP weight loss while breastfreding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489799)

joeslittlewoman 02-07-2013 06:21 PM

Does the "no more than 1-2lb loss a week" rule apply to weight gained during pregnancy, or just pre-pregnancy weight? Just curious. It takes me a few weeks to let go of the water weight I gain in the hospital (which seems to replace the weight of baby/uterus/etc). Then after that, losing the rest of the fat I gain is a slow process. I tried to lose no more than 1.5 lbs a week last time, but something I read after weaning made me think that the weight loss limit/recommendation applied more to old fat/pre-pregnancy weight. Can I drop the pregnancy lbs faster, or is that bad for the baby? Obviously I would wait until supply was establish and not be aggressive enough to hinder it.

tibeca 02-08-2013 10:05 AM

Re: PP weight loss while breastfreding

That recommendation is for any weight lost after the initial weight loss from birth. You should not be intentionally dieting beyond the 1/2-2 lb per week point. Even then, watch your baby, your supply and your body. If any one of the 3 seems to be "off", then diet less.

It takes 6-8 weeks to establish supply, so you should wait until that point to begin honest dieting. It is however 100% safe (and a good idea) to eat good healthy meals early on to aid in recovery.

joeslittlewoman 02-08-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
That recommendation is for any weight lost after the initial weight loss from birth. You should not be intentionally dieting beyond the 1/2-2 lb per week point. Even then, watch your baby, your supply and your body. If any one of the 3 seems to be "off", then diet less.

It takes 6-8 weeks to establish supply, so you should wait until that point to begin honest dieting. It is however 100% safe (and a good idea) to eat good healthy meals early on to aid in recovery.

Thanks! I think i figured out why I was confused. Some websites said to eat 500 cals more than it takes to maintain pre pregnancy weight. Which would be like dieting for me since the weight doesn't fall off quickly for me if I'm breastfeeding. A portion falls off once my body lets go of the fluid from the hospital (maybe 3 weeks out), but nowhere near the total gained.

I'll definitely keep an eye on supply. I am hoping to be able to pump extra this time around. Last time calorie reduction (a few months in) didn't affect my supply, but aggressive exercise did. In the end, I'd rather be chunky for two more years than dry up. :)

Stacy418 02-28-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 16264439)

Im a first time mom and this was great advice to read - thank you!

abunchoflemons 02-28-2013 08:58 AM

depends on ur body & motabolism.

i breastfed first like 3 to 6 months then nothing for milk but lost weight fast.

breastfed 2nd til 14 months & didnt loose much after baby even while nursing til i did more than walking as i did lots. i only started loosing then got pregnant with 3rd.

3rd i dont know as i havent been on scale for weight. i feel lots better as i fit in pre preg clothes about month post pardum. so 140 so lost baby weight at least but i used to be like 115pounds to no more than 120lbs.

my supply didnt get in well & all well with 1st but second took little less to established. 3rd its about a month post pardum & well there & all...milk in before we left hospital.