Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lots of ??s. don't hate the newbie. I'm a CD virgin (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1489844)

FamiLEE 02-07-2013 09:41 PM

Lots of ??s. don't hate the newbie. I'm a CD virgin

Where to start. So many questions.
I am confused on the materials for inserts, covers, etc. Fleece, microfiber, wool, lots more. I understand that some dry faster, others are more absorbent. Is it pretty much preference on what you and your baby prefers? Bleached prefolds? Organic diapers and inserts? I understand the different diaper styles like aios, prefolds, pockets.
Any other advice about cloth diapering would be greatly appreciated.
TIA. :highfive:

ursaminor 02-07-2013 09:45 PM

Re: Lots of ??s. don't hate the newbie. I'm a CD virgin

have you checked out dirtydiaperlaundry.com? She has a lot of videos on CDs and CD 101.

momma_dna 02-07-2013 09:55 PM

I love green mountain diapers site. Tons of info.

FamiLEE 02-07-2013 10:18 PM

Checked out dirtydiaperlaundry. Had some good info. Looks like i have some more hw to do. And ill check out gmd's site also.
Thanks for the info. Any other advice or tips would be appreciated

TobinsTreasures 02-07-2013 10:40 PM

If you're expecting and going to cloth a newborn, you might consider a diaper trial or diaper rental. Since they grow so fast out of newborn sizes (mine lasted for three weeks) it gives you a chance to find out what kind you and your partner prefer. Some husbands like velcro, mine preferred snaps, we got some prefolds with covers, some fitted, some AIO's. It really helped so we knew what to spend on our OS stash. Good luck!

FamiLEE 02-07-2013 10:43 PM

We are expecting :)
And we thought about a diaper trial but I believe we r just going to try and buy a variety to see what we like. We are planning to cd all our future children.

Rdesonia 02-07-2013 11:02 PM

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Unbleached vs bleached- Unbleached are natural off white , bleached are white. If you wash your unbleached with bleach, then they lose resale value. Basically only buy unbleached if you plan to sun out the stains/line dry your prefolds. (Or if your child has a chemical sensitivity... then you want unbleached organic. You might want organic for environmental reasons too. ) Prefolds stain. It's a fact of life. You either bleach them, sun them, or live with stains.

Prefolds vs flats. Prefolds are basically flats that have been sewn "prefolded" thus the name. Flats are about 28"x 28" or 31"x31". You fold them different ways to get the fit you want. They are one size fits all. Prefolds come in different thicknesses and sizes. You need to buy 24 to 36 per size. Flats have a huge cost savings over prefolds. Prefolds take longer to dry. Prefolds are easier. These are normally made out of cotton or bamboo. (Don't buy gerber prefolds with the foam inside. They suck)

With cotton or bamboo touching your child's skin, the wetness will be felt. Pockets and some AIO's have microfleece in the inside. It wicks the moisture away for a stay-dry feel. (Microfleece is a synthetic material) Your child won't feel wet. This is a good option for naps/nighttime if your child might wake up at every pee. (Newborns wake every 2 hours anyway... so more of an issue for older babies/toddlers) You could use a fleece liner (Fleece from the fabric store cut into rectangles to fit the wet zone area. Fleece doesn't fray so no sewing is needed. )

Covers ...there is PUL, wool, and fleece.
Pul is a polyester laminated fabric. It is made of synthetic material. It has some stretch and is waterproof. These covers contain elastic. They typically can be machine washed and machine dried (on med not high). They have a quick dry time even if not put in a dryer.
Wool there are different kinds. Commonly you see knit longies. Knit longies contain no elastic. They have to be hand washed, lanolized and have a long dry time. (24 to 72 hours depending on humidity or indoor-vs-outdoor) Wool is a natural fiber. It can be organic. You can also make upcycled ones from sweaters so wool can be an inexpensive option for someone that sews.
Fleece covers can be made without elastic but some do have elastic depending on how they are made. They can be machine washed and dried. They are not always waterproof. They are more water resistant. So you need to change frequently and I wouldn't use them overnight. (Fleece is typically a synthetic material but is very easy to find at any store that sells fabric.)

Inserts... Microfiber is very absorbent. It's a synthetic material. It should not be placed against a child's skin.. (Microfiber is the stuff in the auto section for drying cars. You can actually tri-fold them and use the microfiber towels in the auto section to stuff pocket diapers!) People like them because they are trim. People who have hard water sometimes get stink issues because they have a hard time washing/rinsing them as they are synthetic.

Other inserts are cotton, bamboo, etc. Some people use tri folded prefolds or folded flats as inserts. ( Typically microfiber or flats are the trimmest)

AIO's use lots of combinations of materials depending on the maker. (Most are pul.)

I think it is up to you and why you want to cloth diaper which options you choose as far as materials. Do you just want to save money? Are you a super environmentalist? Are you somewhere inbetween?

FamiLEE 02-07-2013 11:12 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the great info. I guess my wife and I are the somewhere in between. Plus she says cloth diapers are cute which is a plus :)
I didn't know microfiber shouldn't be placed against the baby's skin. Is there other materials I shouldn't place against the baby's skin?
There is a ton of information. It's kind of overwhelming. Being a full time student my brain is on overtime. Lol.
Thank you for the reply.

abeccarelli 02-07-2013 11:26 PM

I have a bit of a crazy stash here...we are still hitting the learning curve (I kind of wonder if that will ever end though)...

I own a BumGenius 4.0 and LOVE it! I would buy more if they didn't cost so much.
I also have 2 Kawaiis and 12 Sunbaby pocket diapers. I love them, as does DD.
Lately I find myself using more and more prefolds and flats...

I used some cotton knit material to make a fairly thin flat that I add a soaker to when I fold it. You can also use receiving blankets as flats! Just fyi because people tend to give them as gifts and you have a ton of them. The super cute prints are a bonus.

My covers consist of Blueberry and Flips.

NotLad 02-08-2013 12:38 AM

Do a trial. The one from Jillian's drawers is great. They'll also answer every question you have.